In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

uniflo powder measure

rdbradleyrdbradley Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
Hi, Im new to reloading and was wondering if it is normal for my rcbs pwder measure to throw inconsitent charges, as much as 3 to 5 grains +/-. one time might be right on, the next might be 3-5 grains over or under. I keep adjusting and never is consistent,so I just adjust with the trickler. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The powder you are using may have something to do with this problem. If you are using a flake or ball powder you have a problem with your measure. If you are using an extruded powder the problem lies with the powder choice. Extruded powders do not meter very well out of a powder measure and have a tendency to "bridge" giving to poor drops. I hand trickle for every cartridge that I load when using extruded powders just for this problem.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A consistent method of operation is the key to repeatable results. Long stick powders can be the most difficult to get set but you should be able to consistently get + or-.01 grains, accurate enough for 99.9% of reloading.

When setting the charge make sure you have the correct sized drum for the application and do a light TAP-TAP at the top of the throw and a slightly heavier TAP-TAP-TAP at the bottom with the handle to settle the powder.

What powder are you using?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe my measure came with only one drum. I am using IMR 4831 and I have been clicking the handle top and bottom sometimes seeing a few extra kernels falling out. It seems when I start up with the handle it catches and I think cuts some of the powder. I try to keep a smoothe and even motion
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Buy a Lee perfect powder measure and your woes will go away.

Lee: Great for extruded powder, horrible with ball and flake.
    RCBS: Great for ball/flake, horrible with extruded.

I keep both on my bench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info,I read some reviews on the Lee and most are positive for the same reasons.I also was thinking about the rcbs electric despensor and scale combo,any issues there?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    powder throwers, unless benchrest throwers (Harrel) don't do well with stick powders. I have one for ball powders only, everything else gets run through the PACT dispenser unit.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rdbradley
    Thanks for the info,I read some reviews on the Lee and most are positive for the same reasons.I also was thinking about the rcbs electric despensor and scale combo,any issues there?

I have the RCBS 1500 combo and love it.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by rdbradley

I have the RCBS 1500 combo and love it.

I just got my 1500 chargemaster 3 weeks ago and I have found a problem. In the 3 weeks since I set it up the weather here has been terrible and I have now reloaded nearly 500 rifle rounds that exceed 55g minimum per round. The powder is gettin costly LOL.
    O ya the measure is flawless and fast. Can't believe it took me all these years to see the light...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My setup is in my bedroom so weather wont be an issue. I appreciate everyones help, being new to reloading, you might be hearing more from me. So far I'm really enjoying it, cant wait to get home from work everyday.