In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pros/Cons

AgelesslinkAgelesslink Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
My wife is gonna kill me with this hobby..... Oh well.
You guys were right when you told me to buy a .22 to only have to buy cheap ammo.Now I've got to get a reloader to afford the ammo [^] . I've gotten the lyman's reloading handbook on order so I can learn about what to buy when I can save up again. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Ive seen single presses, turrent presses, and progressive presses. The sticky said newcomers should not get progressives. I was wondering why. I seems like single die presses are crap unless someone knows hidden advantages of having them. That leaves turrent presses. Is that what I should be looking at right now for my first press. Should I buy a kit or individual parts?

Man I love shooting!!!

Comments

• Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    It depends on what you can afford. RCBS makes great single stage presses, so does Lyman, and Lee. Turret presses make the process go a little faster without the complexity of a progressive.

If all you want is a sigle stage, go with the Lee cast....its the best deal by far. A lee kit will get you the basics, but their scales are a little on the weak side.

If you want progressive, stay away from Lee until you have LOTS of experience!!

For a newbe progressive, go with hornaday!!!

Some will say Dillon, and they are good too, but youll need a second mortgage to buy their stuff!!

Rcbs is also great for progessives, but they cost even more than Dillon!!

Good luck and have fun.......you have found something far more addictive than any drug or drink known to man!!!!!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off,start with a single stage press because as a beginer you will make less mistakes with a single stage press and it will be easier to concentrate on what you are doing.Get your reloading manual and read it before you start. Ask alot of quetions. People on here will be glad to answer them.You will probable be only reloading a hundred or less cases at a time and therefore dont need a progressive press. If you shoot in a pistol league or retired and have alot of time then step up to a progressive press. You need to learn the basics first and a single stage press will do just that. As far as buying equiptment, That is a personal preference. I only by RCBS because I have never had a problem with them and they have a great reputation.Good luck and happy reloading. Oak
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you plan on doing mass reloading later, then buy a progressive now but only use one or two stations at a time until you become more familiar and comfortable with the process.

Learning on a single stage is best because you are only concentrating on one process at a time, multiple times.

I have a progressive, but often don't use all the stations at one time because I have a Chargemaster and often weigh every load, and I like to feel the primers go into the primer pocket and use a hand primer.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Rockchucker single stage to start ...my 2 cents
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the RCBS Rockchucker for my first press on advice from this forum & have never regretted it. Still use it loading 4 calibers.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you pick a high-performance jet for your first flying lesson - solo?

That's why you start with a single-stage press. Reloading is like a lot of things: you have to learn the basics before you can handle the more complex. A progressive press neither knows nor cares that it made a dangerous mistake.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy single stage until you've mastered the process, then go to turret or whatever. I have been reloading for 15+ years and still use a turret.

I kept the single stage and use it for menial tasks like decapping when I want to tumble decapped/sized brass.

The Lee single stage which I speak about still costs about $25.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I have been using an RCBS since 1974. The single stage has always been fine for me since I'm not shooting 500+ rounds at a time. Most of my dies are RCBS, but a couple of years ago I added some new calibers and to save money I got some LEE Dies. I am very satisfied with the Lee Dies, and they are about $20 less than RCBS.