In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5.56 and .223

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
From what I understand there is a slight difference in military 5.56 and regular 223 brass.I have about 25 pounds of military 5.56 brass.If I run it through a 223 die and cut the primer crimp out will it be good for a 223? Due to thicker brass,do I need to reduce the powder charge compared to 223 loads? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes to your first question and you WILL need to trim. For some reason all my mil brass comes out supper long out of 2 different dies.

Depending on your weapon, an AR with normal chamber I start 5% below. Any bolt or tight chambered AR start 10% below minimum. So you will start out about 2.0 to 1.0 below minimums and work your way up.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of AA2230 powder and with a 55 gr fmj I load 24.5 gr with a commercial case and 23.0 with a military (LC) case for plinking,seated to the cannelure with a LIGHT crimp. This info was given for reference only, regarding the drop in charge weight.

To see the difference in volume, fill each case with water and weigh the water,you may be surprised.

As one of our more astute members says"Your mileage may vary"!!!
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the above advise is very good. I'd recommend water-weighing each different head-stamp. I assume from your question, that you're loading for .223, not 5.56.

I load for .223 bolt & single-shot rifles, both perhaps with a wider range of allowable pressures than AR. Years ago, my first batch of military brass was slightly thicker at the base, but there was not much difference in water capacity. I can only surmise that, early on, there was little difference between 5.56 and .223 brass. Still, for 55 gr. bullets, with 2230 powder, I dropped powder charges 1 gr. (from 27.7 gr. to 26.7 gr.).

Some years later (well, I'm an old guy), the mil-spec brass appears to be considerably different, and while we can easily convert it to .223, the cautions above are applicable. In fact, when sampling various mil-spec head-stamps found at our local range, I've found such significant differences in capacity that I've gradually phased out mil-spec brass from my .223 loads.

Hopefully your 25 lbs. of brass has only one or two head-stamps so your reloading process will be less complicated.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice.I am an old guy too and have loaded 223 for a long time,but it has been for bolt and single shot rifles.I just want to be sure what I have been doing will be safe and effective for an AR.