In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reload shotshells with card and fiber wads

grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
Can anyone direct me where to find loading info for loading shotshells with the old card and fiber wads? I have number of older guns, from 19teens to early '50s and they didn't use plastic then. I'd be using plastic hulls. 12ga. and maybe 16ga. To date I've loaded some using least powder cge. listed in lyman book for shot weight. I would think pressure would be lower than plastic as there is no expanding 'cup'. Got a whole mess of these card and fiber wads from ancient reloaders estate. The only data I seem to find using them is for black powder.

Comments

• RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow been since the early 70s that i used any,bet i still have some around though.I dont remember what manual i used but i can check to see if i can find it.What loads are you looking for 1oz or 1 1/8oz ? Powder ?
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistic Products can furnish the components you will need as well as load recipes.
    I've had several occasions where I needed special load characteristics, so I emailed them for recommendations. Sometimes they are a little slow, but I always received PDF files in my inbox.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

forgot to mention, they do have low pressure recipes for the older guns.
  • grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In answer to Radar........... Probably just 1oz. easy target loads. Powder is one of the things I'd need to know as to what works best. I've experimented with 20 grs. Unique thus far, simply because thats what I have. My reloading manual lists 17.5 Bullseye as lite 7/8 oz. load. I use Bullseye in most of my handguns am just a bit leery of putting in a shotshell, but it might be fine, I don't know.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one of the original lyman shotshell handbooks that list the old style paper wads with several different hulls however many of the hulls have changed over the years, and what is out there now may not be listed. If you want to contact me with more info on what you are using i will look and try to help you out. Contact bratterree@cox.net Bob
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have load manuals from the 50's and early 60's for paper hulls and fiber wads. Send me your component info and I'll email you listed loads. zimmersden@triton.net
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    General guidelines wads with Plastic hulls: Use a nitro wad (one end is impregnated with chemical) on top of powder, to prevent wad burning. Or use air wedge or similar plastic wad over the powder. Follow that with cushion filler wad to the height to compensate for shot amount/case volume. Sometimes need to use over shot cards to create exact height of shot to allow crimp.
    Pressure insert the last wad to the book specs, correct & sufficient wad pressure is key to good ignition. Excessive wad pressure will slowly rebate and push shot out over crimp over time, insufficient wad pressure will result in poor ignition. Load only a box at first and watch for wad pressure release over time, causing crimp to open.
    Expect a little more recoil, and when bird hunting you may confuse wad discentigration particles with bird feathers, thinking you made a hit. Careful with old hulls that have paper base filler wad. Base Wad will break free after several reloadings and stick in barrel by suction upon firing and next shell.....well new barrel time.