In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading .45apc

rudyjrudyj Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I have some 250gr jacketed hollow point bullets that I used to reload some .45 long colt. Would it be OK to load them in to .45acp brass? I would be using some Hodgdon universal powder starting with 4.9 to 5 grains. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I don't have an answer for you, but just didn't want you to think nobody gives a damn.
    Why is my first question? I'm not positive, but I believe the bullets for the ACP are .451 dia. Aren't the 250gr ones a little bigger diameter than .451? Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    As long as the diameter is .451 or .452 you will be OK.
    I don't load 45 Colt so not sure of what the diameter of those bullets sre.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I measured the 250 gr and they were.451. I believe they will be alright to load, just wanted some different opinions.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm curious what your prospective load might be?? I don't load 45lc but where are you finding load data for a 250g bullet on a 45ACP?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The normal load is 230 grain bullet. Be aware the heavier bullet will when seated to normal OAL take up more of the available space in the case BE very careful. I have found you can get some pressure spikes when you have deep seated bullets in a 45ACP sort of like loading 45 GAP cartridges.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of your help. The reason I was going to load the 250 gr was just to use it up, I won't be loading any more .45 LC. I wanted to know if it was ok to do so. It doesn't sound like it is to good of an Idea now that I have heard different opinions. Thanks for all of the input.
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of gun are you using? I would do these only with a Ruger Blackhawk

From Oregon Trail READ WARNING!!!!!

.45 ACP - IPSC Heavy-Bullet Major Loads + P (Oregon Trail Handgun Data)

Warning! Notes: test gun: Entreprise 1911 frame, 5" Bar-Sto barrel, WLP; OAL: 1.168; use these loads exactly as listed; these are MAXIMUM loads - do not exceed charges, or shorten overall lengths; do not fire these loads in pre-1950 revolvers; for use in pistols with fully supported chambers only
    Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.

Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    250 Round Nose Flat Point Hodgdon Clays 3.3 700
    250 Round Nose Flat Point Hodgdon Titegroup 3.8 725
    250 Round Nose Flat Point Accurate Solo 1000 3.5 733
    250 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Bullseye 3.9 735
    250 Round Nose Flat Point Alliant Unique 5.0 745
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot a 260 cast SWC all the time in a 1911 keeping the loads mild to reduce stresses on the gun.

My records show the load was 5.8 of Unique.