In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why I got a squib????

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
In my jap 7.7 I got a squib today[:(!]. Primer went off but powder did not ignite. Bullent went into barrel about 2" and stopped. I dont know why the powder didnt ignite[xx(]. Got the bullet out but my question is why didnt the powder ignite. Its not old or damp.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    possibly too slow burning rate for the bullet weight
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory or reload? If factory, new or milsurp?

If reload, what powder and amount? What primer?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a reload, you may have had the flash hole plugged by polishing media...
    It happens
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reload.First five bullets shot off ok then the squib. I was using 3031 and a 150 gn bullet. powder charge was fine, about .5 grains below max charge weight.By the way, I was using a cci large rifle primer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That bullet, powder and primer combination ought to be fine if the charge weight was correct. We will assume that you did find unburned powder in the case. Given those things, debris in the case sounds like a plausible explanation.

Spider or wasp nestings are fairly common in cases that have lain around a while. Roaches, too. Otherwise, tumbling media is the prime suspect, as mentioned in justjump's post above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys. Rocky, It was as you descibed. I still had unburnt powder in the case and I would asume I had some media left in the primer pocket even though I clened them. I might have missed one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We learn from experience, and it is best when the lesson is painless!