In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 load too hot to shoot?????????

Now that I was given some sound advice concerning my .357 load being far too hot I'm wondering if I should shoot them (50), or pull them and use less powder. 125gr XTP-HP, 22.0gr W296, vel of 1966fps.
If shot, it will be from a 4" S&W Mod 66, and a 2" S&W Mod 19. I may have gotten a little carried away with this load. The 22 grains of W296 is listed as a max load. The starting load is listed as 21.0 grains.
How about some help. Shoot or Pull????????????

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PULL once an overload stress the pistol shooting low pressure will not rebuild the gun to new unstressed. If you Must shoot them avoid the model 19 and shoot the model 66 Most likely stronger frame then older model 19. Just My 2?
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Hodgdon pistol data is in SAAMI spec's??? at max!!!
    Hodgdon 41,400 cup = Saami 35,000 psi???[:0]

I think I would pull and go with one of these Hornady loads[:)]

.357 Magnum Handgun Data (Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 7th Edition)

Warning! Notes: handgun: Colt Python; barrel: 8", 1 in 16" Twist; case: Frontier; primer: Winchester WSPM; bullet diameter: 0.357"; maximum C.O.L.: 1.590"; max. case length: 1.290"; case trim length: 1.280"
    Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
    Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 16.9 1,250
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 17.6 1,300
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 18.2 1,350[:)]
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 18.9 1,400
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 19.6 1,450[:)]
    125 Hornady HP-XTP or FP-XTP Winchester W-296 20.3 1,500[}:)]
    Remarks: maximum load

.357 Magnum (Hodgdon Pistol Data Maximum Loads)

Warning! Notes: case: Winchester; barrel length: 10"; twist: 1:18.75"; trim length: 1.285"; primer: Winchester SPM; NEVER EXCEED MAXIMUM LOADS
    Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
    Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    125 Hornady XTP Winchester W-296 22.0 1966[xx(]
    Remarks: bullet diam.: .357"; COL: 1.590"; 41,400 cup
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'd pull the bullets and reload 18.5grs.
    You are looking at a very hot load with 22.0grs.
    Your 66 and 19 are both K frames and won't last with that hot load.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I really thank all of you for your advice. I will pull them and reload with a more realistic charge. Either that or let my wife shoot them[}:)][:0]! She loves her Mod 66 so she should be able to stand the recoil, and if the gun is over stressed, hey it's HER gun!!!
    NO, NO, I'm just kidding!! After the first hot round went off, the next might be at me[xx(]. I'm going to pull them, and since I have a fairly tight crimp on mag loads this should only take me a couple of weeks!! Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got carried away on some W296/H110 loads a while back, and had 3 gr. more than I should have. Rather than pull them, I shot them in my Browning Low Wall, which is a strong enough action for a load that's still several grains below which you've loaded for your K-frame.

So your decision to pull and reload is a good one!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I REALLY hate to pull 50 rounds, but you guys sound like that is my best way to go. Thanks!!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    PULL them [;)] You will stress both of your S&W,s too much [xx(]
    How would like to pull 300 like I helped a friend do with some 9mm he over loaded [?][?]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to pull 200 that I underloaded last month. Stuff happens!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess 50 isn't so bad afterall![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided I was too lazy to pull the rounds. I just got back from firing the rounds in a mod.19. I'm not saying you guys were wrong, and I will NEVER load another batch that hot, but they shot just fine. Hell, the fired cases fell right out of the cyclinder. No swelling.
    I let my brother shoot it first. Never can be too cautious![:D]
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to pull a couple of hundred .357 rounds that I'd under charged. I tried to shoot them but several squibs later I decided it would be in my best interst to pull them and reload. With a good hammer puller it really didn't take that long.
    In any event, I'm glad to hear you survived your ordeal.
    GH1[:)]