In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

correct fill of shot wad

When loading shot into a plastic wad with integeral cup does one fill said cup to the rim, or add more shot maybe 1/8 oz. over capacity? I know a lot of shooters at local club reload and use 1 1/8 oz. loads, but every used wad I've found has a cup that holds 1 even oz. of shot.

Comments

• Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using magnum shot, an ounce of shot by weight should be about an 1 1/8 by volume. I use a 1 1/8 wad and add shot until I get the crimp that I want. My load is about 1 1/16.
  • Options
    rmckuinrmckuin Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello--I am glad to share some of my experience in shotgun reloading: If I am using a wad marked for 1 1/8 oz, and the powder amount for 1 1/8 oz load, I do not add or take out any shot. You will find that the shot cup usually does not come to the top of the inside of the shell casing, but the load of shot may come all the way to the top. Some shot will not be contained in the wad? That may account for the fact that the wads you are finding seem small on capacity?

Good luck. Good advice is to get a loading manual and do not try to improve on it......

Hope I have helped some and not made you more confused.