In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 automatic brass ---

I have some 38 auto brass but no longer have the Colt 1902 Military that they were fired in. I would like to reload them to fire in a 38 Super - marking them well as being loaded to 38 super power.

My question is -- Is the brass as strong as the Super brass or is the super brass stronger and thicker in the web area because of the higher pressures involved? I didn't check data for comparing volume of each case - guess that would be the place to start, huh? Seems that it would be so close that volume difference would be almost undetectable.

Comments, please.

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest you weigh samples of both and compare them. If the weights are the same then then the Super brass can not be thicker. (I have some pretty good quantities of each, too, and have not got around to weighing them yet.)
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I would suggest you weigh samples of both and compare them. If the weights are the same then then the Super brass can not be thicker. (I have some pretty good quantities of each, too, and have not got around to weighing them yet.)

Thanks, didn't think of weighing them.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let me know if that works. I'm a bit curious myself. I can't think of any problems offhand I've wondered the same thing and never thought of weighing them. I did think I might bisect one just to see if there is any web difference.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would rather Er on the side of WHAT IF[?][?][?].What would happen if some how this loaded ammo to 38 super loads were fired in a valuable model 1902 and ruined this older pistol.[xx(][:(] At the price of 38 super brass I would put up your 38ACP brass for sale here and When it sells I bet it will be for more money then you can by new 38super brass. Maybe enough to buy 38 super ammo. [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I would rather Er on the side of WHAT IF[?][?][?].What would happen if some how this loaded ammo to 38 super loads were fired in a valuable model 1902 and ruined this older pistol.[xx(][:(] At the price of 38 super brass I would put up your 38ACP brass for sale here and When it sells I bet it will be for more money then you can by new 38super brass. Maybe enough to buy 38 super ammo. [^]

Your point is well taken. That is why I said that I would mark them well as being loaded to Super power. Being my reloads, I would think that I would be the only one brave enough to fire them.

I also have some 38 auto reloads left over.
    Is it possible to find a recoil spring light enough to fire them in a Colt 38 Super without having to fire them one at a time? I would rather fire them than pull the bullets and dump the powder.

This is the reason for the question. I was going to pull the bullets - dump the powder - then load them to Super specs - reinstall the same bullets. That way I could fire them in a 38 Super and they would be powerful enough to work the action.

If I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder to sell the brass, I would also have to remove the live primer!

Finding a lighter recoil spring would be a better solution, I would think.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you actually shot any?
    I think a .38 Auto will run in a Super gun just fine.
    I have shot lots of subsonic 9mm, a 135 at 990 fps in a 1991A1 with stock recoil spring. And that is the same as a .38 Super recoil spring.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    Sell the brass. I like to reload 38 Auto for my customers. I load a 115 grain FMJ at 905 fps. The reason I don't load more of it is that I will not sell ammo without the correct head stamp. I have not found anyone that sells new 38 ACP brass. The old brass is hard to find.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Think of it this way [;)]
    Why do they tell you NOT to shoot 38 super in a 38acp pistol.
    I remember reading somewhere not to load acp brass to super specs.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I haven't checked out 38 ACP brass with a microscope, but I'm willing to bet the farm that case construction isn't as hardy as the 38 Super. When you get into the major power factor loads in the 38 super I believe you shouldn't even use +P brass, thats what the 38 Super Comp. brass is for. Different companies use different brass. Which one's are able to go Hot and which one's can't? I don't know.

I say never load 38 Auto brass up to 38 Super speeds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Have you actually shot any?
    I think a .38 Auto will run in a Super gun just fine.
    I have shot lots of subsonic 9mm, a 135 at 990 fps in a 1991A1 with stock recoil spring. And that is the same as a .38 Super recoil spring.

Yes, I shot some in a Colt 38 Super and it would not work the action.
    Of course this may have been downloaded as it is handloads with lead bullets. Had to hand operate the slide to get the empty to fully eject and load the next round. Finally just loaded one cart. at a time in the magazine. Very slow operation just to empty the brass. Probably just as fast to pull the bullets with a kinetic puller and dump the powder.

I didn't try to find a lighter spring at that time.

Thanks---Peabo