In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 Defensive Ammo...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Who here handloads defensive rounds for your .357 Mag? ...and what is your favorite defensive bullet to use (specifically out of a short barreled snub nosed revolver)???

It's probably been 5 years since I loaded for 357...

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My 357 loads usually use a Hornady XTP, The 158gr for hunting and the 125gr for soft skined upright animals. Favorite load is 22.0gr of H110 with the 125gr XTP, smoking little round that is also very accurate. This is a bit on the hot side so work up slowly, I don't have any problems with it in a Blackhawk, Speed Six or a T/C Contender.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to rethink the use of "handloads" for defensive use. If you ever get into that situation, some smart-* lawyer will have you in court for deliberately mutilating the bad guy. Use factory ammo.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

You might want to rethink the use of "handloads" for defensive use. If you ever get into that situation, some smart-* lawyer will have you in court for deliberately mutilating the bad guy. Use factory ammo.

XTP are available as factory ammo as well, so it shouldnt be an issue. Just load your XTP in factory Hornady brass.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Over the years I've heard this repeated; can anyone refer us to an actual legal/court decision that so-punished the handloader?

That said, my home defense rounds are all Glaser Safety Slugs: silver in winter, blue in summer. I really don't need to blast through a couple of walls into other rooms...or even neighbors' homes!

Outside, any brisk .357 round would do. I favor cast Keith-SW (160 gr. over 14.3 gr. H110/W296) or Nosler 180 gr. solid (N/A) over 14.2 gr. 4227. I said: "I favor...." Fortunately, the need has not yet arrived.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

This legal theory went out the window with shoot to wound. You are shooting someone to stop them, it matters not what you shoot them with or if they live or die.

Defense load:
    125 JHP of your favorite flavor loaded to book max with 2400 or H-110.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitly horady xtp-hp.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I load a 125gr. HP. with a near max load of Unique for my 66-1 2 1/2in.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ballastics of the load are in question if you shoot someone. The load will help determine your distance from your future victim. I load all my stuff but this is a one time purchase and that will answer the question if it needs answered. You should be the hero not arrested because you cant prove your situation. Yes you might have 10 more in your magazine but you cant prove they are loaded the same. The only story that comes to mind is a woman(wife) shot herself and the guy(husband) was arrested because there was little powder marks around the wound so they determined he must of shoot her at a close distance. The guy said they were very low loads for his wife to use so she could get comfortable shooting this weapon. He could not prove the ballastics for he's defense. You make the call? I know these rounds are expensive but there you go.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    158 gr deer stoppers.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I just loaded some 125gr XTP-HP with 22gr of Win 296. The velocity on this load is 1966 fps. This seems awful hot to me. I haven't shot them yet so I can't say anything about the recoil and/or accuracy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's real...probably too hot....unless you're getting superlative accuracy, and need it only a few time, load down.

My max load for 125 HP/SP is 20.1 gr. W296/H110. I get 1300+ in a 4" Smith 586, and it's gratifyingly accurate.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by partisan
    I just loaded some 125gr XTP-HP with 22gr of Win 296. The velocity on this load is 1966 fps. This seems awful hot to me. I haven't shot them yet so I can't say anything about the recoil and/or accuracy.

Way too hot. Even the 357 Maximum w/ a 125 gr bullet doesnt achieve 1966.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I see that exact load listed at Hodgdons loading site. Did you chrony your load to come up with the FPS? I load 21gr and they are not for the timid. They show no signs of high pressure, but recoil and muzzle flash is crazy.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2

Way too hot. Even the 357 Maximum w/ a 125 gr bullet doesnt achieve 1966.

If you look at the Hodgdon web site, it shows a 10" barrel used to get that FPS.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a box of Factory 357 Magnum that in no doubt would cause more damage than the XTP Bullet reloads.
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would you use for an LCR 357? I have some 158 grn JHP's that I use in my Contender, but they are a little much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Earlwellman, how long have you had your LCR? I've seen an YouTube showing flame cutting. There's also supposed to be a factory remedy for same.

In any case, you should be able to use any load suggested for short barrels, of which there are only about 9 bazillion suggestions....
  • Options
    GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like jacketed bullets in most revolvers. They're expensive, the copper fouling is more difficult to remove than lead and in most instances they're simply not needed.
    Jacketed bullets also produce greater pressure than properly cast or alloyed lead bullets.
    That's my opinion, and I'm sure I'll get trounced for it. So many today flock to the "Ultra XTreme Super Z-100 Termiblaster Turbo VX-9000" jacketed bullet.
    Myself, I load the Lyman 358156 160 gr. lead semiwadcutter, with gas check, to about 1,200 fps from the 6-inch barrel of my Ruger GP-100.
    This isn't a full-power load, but I'm sure it will get the job done.
    It's controllable in double-action, if I need a quick second shot.
    The lead alloy is rather soft, coming in at wheelweight (BHN 9) or 1:20 tin/lead alloy (BHN 10) as tested on my Saeco hardness tester.
    I would think that at a slightly lower loading, to produce about 1,050 or 1,100 fps from a snubnose, it would be a good defense load.
    Never tried it in a .357 snubby.

No matter what bullet you use, it's all just noise if you can't put it where it belongs. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree, Gatofeo.....that's the same bullet I've cast and fired hundreds of rounds. I use it without the GC in 38 Spl, and with GC in .357.

I have a Browning Low Wall in .357 that's never had a jacketed bullet soil it's pristine grooves!!!!