In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good primer for 218 bee???

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
Should I use a small rifle or small pistol primer. I am loading for a tauras raging bee handgun with a 10" barrel

Comments

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never mind, I answered my own question and went with the small pitol primer.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't have a BEE but I have found with many bolt action 22 Hornets that Pistol primers give much better groups. I think the firing pin spring is smaller /weaker because of the diameter of the bolt and the small rifle primer has a cup that is made for High pressure rounds like 22/250 and the primer strike is too weak . also the primer is too hot for the small amount of powder. YMMV Karl
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a little remington pump in 218 and I've always used rifle primers and its a tack driver. Never thought about using pistol primers... making notes... new stuff to try
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 6? primer was designed for Hornet and Bee cartridges. It is very mild and has a thin cup - both are important for low-pressure rounds in tiny cases.

If you can't find those, get CCI, Rem or Fed small pistol standard primers. Winchester primers of any kind are too hot for the Hornet/Bee class of rounds.

I've explained the "why" of this several times. Search older threads and you'll find it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.