In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rcbs dies

Im new to reloading, using all rcbs equip. Can I use different brand dies other than rcbs and if so wich ones should I shy away from/

Thanks to all

Comments

• Options
    rdbradleyrdbradley Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the competition dies worth the extra $$ over the standard dies? I am looking atthe 22-250 ones. Thanks.

Todd
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Most modern reloading dies are threaded the same, so they should work in your press.

Some guys like Lee (I do)

Some are RCBS guys (That'd be me)

Others are fond of Redding (Like me, for instance)

They all fit in my RCBS presses, my old Lyman press and an old Herters that I once had.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Presses and dies made for the past 50 years or so all use a standard 7/8th-14 thread. Some specialized presses and dies are made but unless it is listed as being "special thread" you can use any manufacturers dies in any press.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as above, only diff, some use nuts, some use locking rings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thaanks, I was looking to buy some used dies for a good price but didnt want peformance to suffer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Usually the dies are not the fault of performance or accuracy (I know what your saying[:)])but usually every little thing in between.
    Case prep
    Primer seating
    Bullet concentricity from case to bore
    and the list goes on.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    New dies are worth the few extra dollars over used. Make sure you get a carbide resizing die to avoid the messy lube.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks about the used dies, i thought about that. I thought carbide dies was for pistol reloading, I didnt mention only working on rifle ammo for now. Im really impressed though, 300 wtby mag factory ammo 1.5"@100yrds best. Now 1.5" @300yrds. I think Im liking this
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rdbradley
    Thanks about the used dies, i thought about that. I thought carbide dies was for pistol reloading,

Carbide dies- for strait wall pistol no lube required (little wax is nice thou)

Carbide Bottle Neck Rifle dies, You still need to lube the case/neck/throat etc.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Until you get into benchrest shooting, any off the shelf die will basically do as well as the next. Personal preference aside, a Ford or Chevy will both get you where you need to go, same thing here.

A few thoughts-

As noted, for straight walled pistol carbide dies are the proverbial cat's meow. No lube needed, maybe just a drop every 10th case or so to really slick things up.

Lee offers a collet neck sizing die. Wonderful invention, also needs no lube, even for bottlenecked cases. Also very consistent- until you get into the very top match grade dies, quite possibly the best available at any price.

Whatever you get, make sure to read the directions, double check everything twice, and have fun! [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, much apreciated
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may have missed it, but Hornandy New Dimension rifle dies are GREAT!!! I have just about every MFG out there C&H RCBS, TEXAN, Redding etc. I'm slowly replacing the most used ones with NEw Dimension Dies. I personally really like the seating die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is it about the hornady new demension that you like
  • Options
    gunslinger44428gunslinger44428 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys.. answer me this if ya can,, I have some RCBS dies for 44mag./44 spec. It has 2 bullet seater stems, one for wadcutters,one for round nose. When I use the wadcutter stem for hollow points...it flattens out the lead. when I use the stem for round nose, it all but closes the hollow point. I e-mailed the tech guys at RCBS and they say they can "make" me a stem for hollow points....hmmmm...OK , what do you guys do??
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunslinger44428
    Hey guys.. answer me this if ya can,, I have some RCBS dies for 44mag./44 spec. It has 2 bullet seater stems, one for wadcutters,one for round nose. When I use the wadcutter stem for hollow points...it flattens out the lead. when I use the stem for round nose, it all but closes the hollow point. I e-mailed the tech guys at RCBS and they say they can "make" me a stem for hollow points....hmmmm...OK , what do you guys do??

Bell mouth your brass a little more so the bullet will slide in easier. And try a little less crimp or get the Lee factory crimp die.
    The extra crimping operation should do it for you.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Justjump
    I may have missed it, but Hornandy New Dimension rifle dies are GREAT!!! I have just about every MFG out there C&H RCBS, TEXAN, Redding etc. I'm slowly replacing the most used ones with NEw Dimension Dies. I personally really like the seating die.

Now that's interesting. I have ONE set of them and I so HATE them that I am going to sell them for a conventional set of dies. The floating seating body always- and I mean always- pulls out of the die despite the little locking spring if using anything but FMJ bullets. Can't stand 'em, glad you like 'em, if you are in the market for some 7mm Mauser dies and have some regular ones to trade straight up, just let me know.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    quote:Originally posted by Justjump

Now that's interesting. I have ONE set of them and I so HATE them that I am going to sell them for a conventional set of dies. The floating seating body always- and I mean always- pulls out of the die despite the little locking spring if using anything but FMJ bullets. Can't stand 'em, glad you like 'em, if you are in the market for some 7mm Mauser dies and have some regular ones to trade straight up, just let me know.

Weird, I have never had that happen and yes let me dig through the stack I think we may come to an understanding[;)]
    I like the floating seater LOL I guess thats why different mfg's stay in business some for me and some for you!!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was going to get in line for a swap but I checked and my 7X57 dies are Hornady already. I have half a dozen other sets and would only trade them for Redding. Most have replaced my old RCBS.
    Never had the problem you mention and I bet Hornady would make it right in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have dies from every current maker and a few some some long gone companies. They ALL work fine.

The most common complaint I hear about some older Hornady dies is the decap rod that uses a collet. It's all but impossible to tighten the collet enough to hold that slick rod. Solution: roughen the rod. I squeeze mine in my vise enough to imprint the rod with the jaw knurling. No more rod slip.

On the topic of carbide dies for bottleneck rifle rounds, forget it. They are hugely expensive, still require lube, and give no benefit whatsoever over standard steel dies. Straight-wall handgun dies are a whole different thing. THOSE are so marvelous that most makers don't even offer steel ones any longer.

If you load a whole lot of one bullet style, you can custom-form your own seating punch with a bit of JB Weld. Degrease the stem you use least, put a tiny bit of JB Weld in the cup and put the stem in your drill press. Wax or grease a bullet (fill the hollowpoint with clay or wax) and lower the stem onto the bullet. Weight the press handle to hold constant pressure on the stem until the JB partly sets. Gently twist the bullet out and let the JB set completely. Trim the sides as needed. Done. Note: do NOT do this in your die to avoid having any excess JB getting where you don't want it!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.