In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Chronograph to buy?

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I've seen about 15-20 chronys for sale on GB. Does anyone have a prefrence on a manufactor or model? What has worked good for you?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've had a Chrony for about 20yrs now and it still works good.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Chrony works great and have not shot it......yet.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a Chrony "beta" myself. No complaints.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more vote for beta chrony here. I have had it for years and it still works great. Though I have just recently discovered that big rifles (300 ultra 375 h&h etc) will flat blow the diffusers off if your to close[:0]
    EDIT: Mine is the beta master with the remote readout it comes in handy
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Chrony also.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use chrony also!

Works great with archery and smokeless rifles! Black powder guns don't always produce a user friendly readout! Have to move the unit back and forth and still get errors probably due to the sabot, patchs smoke, etc! I built a shield to protect the face of the digital read-out from black powder and sabots! You can google plans for a face protector!

I have a very old model Pact chronograph that I bought at a garage sale for $5, it so old it don't have a Model number that I can locate! I use it for black powder, because the digital readout box can be located at the bench out of harm way!. The first and second diffusers pickups do not use rods or diffuser shields, just little square boxes about size of pack of cigarettes!! I called Pact about the unit for a manual, and the guy said Pact has a lifetime warranty and too just send it in if no run! He told me how to set it up for a test run and it ran great!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chrony Beta here too. Another thing is that Chrony will treat you right if "something" happens to it. Take my word for this. [:(]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the real question should have been, who doesn't use a Chrony? [:D]
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's too bad Oehler isn't making the 35P any more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like if you blast it to pieces?[xx(]quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Chrony Beta here too. Another thing is that Chrony will treat you right if "something" happens to it. Take my word for this. [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found a beta shooting model cheaper than any other place. Brand new to my door shipping included $ 113.61[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Like if you blast it to pieces?[xx(]quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.

Exactly!

P1000934.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That'll leave a mark!![:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have it in my reloading room as a reminder to be more careful.[:I]
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Oehler model 12 that I bought in 1982. It still works great, although the Chrony, Oehler 35, etc. are easier to use.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Oehler is making the 35P these days.... but it is pricy...
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Oehlar 35P is indeed pricey - but it is also the BEST chronograph money can buy except for Oehler laboratory models. It is better than what 95% of most reloaders need, actually.

If all you can afford is a Shooting Chrony, get one of those. If you can afford a bit more, get a ProChrono, CED M2 or a Pact.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Mark TMark T Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just put my Chrony Beta away. First time I used it I hit one of the little rods. It flew a ways, but I straightned it out no worse for wear. It works flawless. 243-7mm and 338RUM without a hitch. But make sure its far enough back with the big boys!!
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Struggled with a PACT for a couple of years. I sent back to the factory twice. I finally sold it on GB then bought a Chrony. It's never failed me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Two hints about a Shooting Chrony: use cheap bamboo cooking skewers instead of those wire rods to keep your unit from being slammed to the ground when you hit one. And, you can make better diffusers from gallon jugs; cut a four-inch wide strip of that milky plastic, punch two holes and slip the bamboo through the holes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My "incident" happened when the bullet hit the left rear metal support wire, ricocheted down, hit the center divider, and finally went through the front sensor and peeled back the front of the body. When the bullet struck the wire it also broke a chunk out of the rear sensor so that it could no longer support the wire.

When I got the new one, the first thing I did was to purchase a package of wooden skewers from the grocery store, turn the ends down to the proper diameter on my lathe, and cut them to length. I also marked with a red sharpie the limits of the "sweet spot" on the skewers.

Then I made a thin plastic sunshield that covers the whole area above the sensors to block direct sunlight. I've found that it eliminated errors due to uneven lighting between the sensors.

I found I was spending more time out shooting, so then I got a canopy so I could sit in the shade, sip my Gatorade, and spend all day out in my back yard enjoying the fruits of my labors at the reloading bench. One of the perks of retirement. [:D][:D][:D]

P1000295.jpg
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Chrony, didn't buy it. Was given to me. Like a lot, flawless so far.

Would rather have the one that figures the SD for me. Mine has remote readout.

Rocky, like the Milk jug advise. Will try that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Even better are those jugs they use for cheap windshield washer fluid. They are round instead of square. You can get two narrow strips out of one - or one really wide strip. Truck stops sell them for $3 each or so.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been happy with my Competition Electronics Pro Chrono.
    Good service the one time I drilled it with my .270.