In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LEE BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER PRESS KIT, any good?

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know there are many out there who dislike some Lee products, but I need to know if this kit is decent for a first timer getting started at single stage reloading 44 mag/special pistol loads.

Here's the link to Lee for the kit-

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1298435036.2844=/html/catalog/rlpress2.html#breech

I realize I'll need to get the carbide 3-die set as well.

I'm looking into this kit after pricing rcbs and others. This seems to be the best value for the dollar. And I'm on a budget to boot.

Any input/advice/opinions would really help. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Lee single stage press are good, same as everyone else's....pretty hard to screw them up!

I think Lee dies are the best on the market right now too.

Lee progressives are another story....not good for a newbee to learn on. Takes alot of mechanical ability to operate, but they do work.

Best thing with Lee is you dont go broke buying their stuff.

Be careful and have fun!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The Challenger has come a long way but I prefer their classic cast offerings: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1298435036.2844=/html/catalog/classic.html

For pistol though either is fine.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you check and see if Graf and Sons has a sale on kits, sometimes for just a few bucks more you get a world of better product.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dittos on the Classic Cast. I think it is the best press on the market today, never mind that it is only half as expensive as others.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You, the replies are very helpful.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Just one minor addition, get the 4 die set with the final crimp die, it will save you alot of problems.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Just one minor addition, get the 4 die set with the final crimp die, it will save you alot of problems.

Best of luck.

I'm looking into that now. What kinds of problems does the 4th die (final crimp) solve? Newbie reloader here...
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by floorguy24

Best of luck.

I'm looking into that now. What kinds of problems does the 4th die (final crimp) solve? Newbie reloader here...

A proper crimp keeps the bullet from backing out of the case durring recoil.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tip gentlemen, just got a new Lee carbide 4 die set per your recommendations. [:D]
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been looking at reloading kits for months but kept putting off purchasing one for one reason or another. Well, today, I finally "bit the bullet", so to speak, and ordered one of these Lee kits from Cabelas. I added a couple of sets of dies to get me over $150 for the free shipping. Then I used the $80+ of Cabelas bucks I had earned over the last six months...got a pretty good setup for around $75.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by McDAccountant
    I've been looking at reloading kits for months but kept putting off purchasing one for one reason or another. Well, today, I finally "bit the bullet", so to speak, and ordered one of these Lee kits from Cabelas. I added a couple of sets of dies to get me over $150 for the free shipping. Then I used the $80+ of Cabelas bucks I had earned over the last six months...got a pretty good setup for around $75.

Right on. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just ordered the Lee kit shown on the top post.

Also ordered the newer Lee auto primer with the square primer feeds, as well as the Lee 44 magnum/special carbide 4 die set.

As for now, I'll continue to read bposts article and info posted for new reloaders. I'll read as much as I can, but still realize getting my hands dirty is the best way to start.

For now, I'll wait for all of the stuff to arrive.

Later on, I'm sure I'll post more questions.

But until then, Thank You all for your input and advice. I'm really looking forward to starting. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Also ordered the newer Lee auto primer with the square primer feeds, as well as the Lee 44 magnum/special carbide 4 die set.

As for now, I'll continue to read bposts article and info posted for new reloaders. I'll read as much as I can, but still realize getting my hands dirty is the best way to start.

But until then, Thank You all for your input and advice. I'm really looking forward to starting. [:D]

I'm with you on this. I've read two reloading manuals so far but the best info I've learned has been on this (and a couple of other) message boards from those who have been reloading for years. And, like you, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions too! Can't wait to "get my hands dirty"...
  • Options
    edited November -1

I'm with you on this. I've read two reloading manuals so far but the best info I've learned has been on this (and a couple of other) message boards from those who have been reloading for years. And, like you, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions too! Can't wait to "get my hands dirty"...

I don't know about you, but now I feel like Ralphie waiting for that Red Rider BB Gun...[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know about you, but now I feel like Ralphie waiting for that Red Rider BB Gun...[:D]

Don't shoot your eye out, kid...LOL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey floorguy24, did you get your stuff yet?

Mine was delivered at work today...had it all out on my desk checking it out. Looks very simple to setup. The Lee scale doesn't seem as bad as everyone was making it out to be. Now, I just need 5 o'clock to roll around so I can go home and get it mounted on my bench.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey floorguy24, did you get your stuff yet?

Mine was delivered at work today...had it all out on my desk checking it out. Looks very simple to setup. The Lee scale doesn't seem as bad as everyone was making it out to be. Now, I just need 5 o'clock to roll around so I can go home and get it mounted on my bench.

Got my Lee carbide 4 die set, and the new Lee auto-primer. Still waiting on the full kit to come, not supposed to arrive till monday.

I can hardly wait though.

Glad yours came, have fun working with it and keep me posted, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went by the LGS at lunch today and picked up some powder, primers, and bullets...going to swing by Lowes and pick up a few bolts on the way home. Hoping to get the press mounted this evening then I'll be ready to load...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went by the LGS at lunch today and picked up some powder, primers, and bullets...going to swing by Lowes and pick up a few bolts on the way home. Hoping to get the press mounted this evening then I'll be ready to load...

Cool.

What caliber are you reloading?
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Best of luck.
    I my opinion you dont need the 4 die set for straight walled cases such as the 44mag...my two cents....anything semi auto then go for the 4 die set from Lee, I do and I love the lee 4 die sets for semi auto cases in handgun...reloader44mag
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy

Best of luck.

A proper crimp keeps the bullet from backing out of the case durring recoil.
    You dont need the 4th die to get a proper crimp on 44mag[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [/quote]You dont the 4th die to get a proper crimp on 44mag[:)]
    [/quote]

Too late, I already got it.

Does it hurt to crimp these loads anyway?
  • Options
    edited November -1

You dont the 4th die to get a proper crimp on 44mag[:)]
    [/quote]

[/quote]The lee 3rd die "bullet seating die" also has the ability to crimp the round....in my opinion the 4th die acts as a resizer die on the finished product....its a safety net....the crimp on straight walled cases if done corectly will never need a 4th die...my 2 cents
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In order to get a good crimp...this is how I do it 1. insert case into shell holder, raise the ram 2. screw bullet seater die(3rd die) in until it bottoms on the case. 3. lower ram, take case out of shell holder and insert bullet in the "mouth" of the case. 3. Back off seater stem all the way. 4. raise the ram into the die until bottomed out. 5. screw seater stem until you feel pressure on bullet. 6. lower ram and turn the bullet seater screw down a few turns and raise ram again to start to seat the bullet.....with 44mag you want to repeat the screwing down of the seater stem until you get the bullet seated to about the middle of the canalure of the bullet. 7.back the seater stem all the way off/up and SLOWLY begin "1/2 turns" to screw the seater DIE down...raise ram to set the crimp.. repeat as need to get proper crimp. 8. once proper crimp is established, raise ram/case into die and screw down seater stem until it makes contact with bullet. If all was done corectly you will make ammo that seated at proper OAL and have a nice crimp....good luck and be safe...I guess of you had alittle buldge on the crimp the 4th die might come in handy[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

You dont the 4th die to get a proper crimp on 44mag[:)]
    [/quote]

[/quote]44mag rounds NEED to be crimped...without question im my opinion...I always crimp to some degree ALL of my reloads...38spl not as heavy...hot 44mag get a heavy crimp....just a suggestion as you establish a crimp have the gun handy and as you go, place a round in the cylinder to see if ya have a smooth insertion into the cylinder
  • Options
    airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can reload without the factory crimp die, but you will love it. It is a quantum leap from the usual roll crimp or taper crimp die. Case length is not as critical, not much danger of deforming a case that is a bit longer than the rest, and accuracy will be better since bullet pull is more consistent. FCD's don't require bullets with cannulures either. I use a FCD on every caliber I load and wouldn't be without them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What caliber are you reloading?

Right now 38 Special and 30-06, will probably do 357 Mag, eventually.

Got the press mounted last night and ran about three dozen .38s through the resize/deprime die as a test run...didn't have time to prime/charge/seat/crimp but I should have plenty of time for that over the weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've now cleaned the brass/primer pocket, measured/trimmed brass to same length, and primed. I tried both priming on the press and using the Auto Prime XR. I definitely like priming on the press better, it just feels better and seems to be more consistent than using the Auto Prime. I may get around to charging and seating this afternoon if the wife doesn't find something else for me to do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've now cleaned the brass/primer pocket, measured/trimmed brass to same length, and primed. I tried both priming on the press and using the Auto Prime XR. I definitely like priming on the press better, it just feels better and seems to be more consistent than using the Auto Prime. I may get around to charging and seating this afternoon if the wife doesn't find something else for me to do.

Right on.

As for me, still waiting for the kit to arrive. Just ordered a new tumbler as well. Now I'm shopping for more 44 mag & special brass, as if I didn't have enough already...

I hope you keep us posted on your results at the range. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, while it dumped snow all day long today, I finished off the three dozen rounds I had started.

Being the first time, I really took my time, as if I had anything else to do today...measuring cases, powder throws, OAL of each round. Just wanted to get a good feel for the whole process. Crimping was a lot easier than I thought it might be, following perry shooter's advice in his sticky post of seating then crimping, in two steps, not one.

I've also learned that if you get the case lengths all the same and follow the instructions, everything else falls into place as it should.

I'm hoping to get out to the range Friday to test these, plus empty a few more rounds so I can load some more next weekend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got out to the range today to try my reloads. All but one fired as desired plus went through another box of Magtech .38s while shooting steel plates, so I'll have more empties for reloading later. My first loads were very light: 3.0 grains of Bullseye under 158 gr. SWC with Winchester small pistol primers. Will probably bump the load up some on the next batch.
  • Options
    Gunny0321Gunny0321 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    McDAccountant

One of the best things you can always do, weather you are loading your first 36 rounds or your 36,600th round or your 3 million'th round, and that is take your time. You just would not believe what that 38 special of yours looks like after you "double charge" a round and crank it off. I am sure you will be a responsable reloader, you just have to learn to be that way. Just too much at stake to make a mistake if it can be at all avoided. Good Luck and have fun.

On a side note the first cartridge I loaded for over 45 years ago was a .38 special. You only think your's were a light load. The loading manual I was using at the time called for a target and practice load of 2 grains of Bullseye. These things were so enemic that you could barely hear them go off, more like a Puff than a bang....

RS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunny0321
    McDAccountant

One of the best things you can always do, weather you are loading your first 36 rounds or your 36,600th round or your 3 million'th round, and that is take your time. You just would not believe what that 38 special of yours looks like after you "double charge" a round and crank it off. I am sure you will be a responsable reloader, you just have to learn to be that way. Just too much at stake to make a mistake if it can be at all avoided. Good Luck and have fun.

On a side note the first cartridge I loaded for over 45 years ago was a .38 special. You only think your's were a light load. The loading manual I was using at the time called for a target and practice load of 2 grains of Bullseye. These things were so enemic that you could barely hear them go off, more like a Puff than a bang....

RS

To tell you the truth, I'm extremely meticulous, almost to the point it gets on my wife's nerves sometimes. LOL

Even though I stated it was a "light load", that was only in comparison to the loads I had seen in several reloading manuals. I was shooting Magtech LRN .38s as well and there didn't seem to be too much difference between the two. I do need to buy a chrony at some point to check fps. One thing that made me feel good was I only had one FTF out of the my first 3 dozen rounds...had two FTF out of the box of 50 Magtechs.

When I pulled the Magtechs, I measured their charge...4.2 grains...anyone know what powder they use?