In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 7.62x54R?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
I have a couple Russkie Mosin 91's that I'd like to reload for. I should use .312 diameter bullets, is that correct?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Nominally yes, a .311 or .312" bullet should be fine.

That said, I would advise slugging your bore. You may find a .309 is fine, or that your bore is way oversized and even larger is appropriate.

This is more for casters than jacketed loaders, but pertains to both.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Nominally yes, a .311 or .312" bullet should be fine.

That said, I would advise slugging your bore. You may find a .309 is fine, or that your bore is way oversized and even larger is appropriate.

This is more for casters than jacketed loaders, but pertains to both.

Thanks!
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked my records and I used regular .308 dia. bullets in mine. Five-shot groups averaged 2-2 1/2". My rifle is one of the old "long toms". On looking up the records, it appears I haven't fired it in 15 years. Not sure if I can pick out the sights well enough anymore but maybe I'll get it to the range again now that you've got me thinking about it. I fired a lot of surplus military stuff through it, too, and some of that shot very well. I fired one 5-shot group that measured .90" with a military load that used a 149 gr. hollow base bullet. Of course it was a fluke!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those old Mosins are surprisingly accurate and are still the best bargain on the surplus rifle market. The surplus ammo, while corrosive, is also still very inexpensive.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Make sure you slug the barrel on any Mosin, I have seen bores that have measured any place from .308 to .314 wile .311 has been the most common.