In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

28 gauge reloading?

RWCoileRWCoile Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Recently started sporting clays as an activity with my 11 year old and enjoying our time together. He is shooting a 28 gauge I have not used in several years and has used up my stash of ammo. Wow it costs at least $12.00/box now!! I ran the numbers and looks to be around $4.20/box to reload with a MEC 600 to duplicate Win AA 8's. Even if I have to buy the new press I come out ahead after about 22 boxes. Is my logic correct? I am saving all the hulls he shoots in anticipation of diving into the reloader. Checking on ebay for used ones but may just buy the new 600 Jr. Advice?

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloading for the 410 and 28 ga pays off rather quickly. Can't say about your price projection as i haven't bought any of the 50$ shot or 40$ primers as of yet but i assume that you have checked component prices there to come up with a cost factor. I would sure do it in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    RWCoileRWCoile Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I built an analysis spreadsheet using the costs for components I can locate and obtain fairly locally. After showing a friend today he told me there is a tool on MEC reloaders website taht you can plug in costs to run a payback on reloading. My spreadsheet compares almost to the penny to the per box cost to reload that the tool on MEC webiste does. So I am defintiely going to take your advice whihc along with the homework shows that reloading look like the ticket. Plus it looks fun for me and my son to do as well.

I also learned that we have been shooting Winchester AA HS shells and those hulls require different wads than "normal" AA hulls to reload. I am planning on reloading using Green Dot powder with 3/4 oz of 8's for a 1,200 fps load.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I shoot skeet with a Remington 1100 28ga and do all of my own reloads on a MEC 600 Jr, my loads consist of Remington Premier STS hulls, Cheddite 209 primers, Claybuster WAA28 wads, 3/4oz #9 Shot, and Greendot with a #17 bushing. Recoil is almost nil, the gun functions perfectly and the patterns will bring a tear to your eye. I would not be able to shoot this gun as much as I do if it was not for the fact that I reload for it, it is just not affordable any other way.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot sporting clays with both 28ga & 410ga. I like the challenge but reloading is cheaper because of the less amount of lead & powder used. I pick up all the 28 & 410 hulls I find at our range & reload them all. The win HS hulls last the longest. Claybuster HS wads will save you some $ over Win HS wads. I also make my own shot & save some $'S. If you have the spare time you will save money & pay for the equipment in no time shooting small bore.