In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question on reloading

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
I was trying to reload some 222 rem. I'am useing win 748 26.6 grains of powder. For some reason the case wont except that much powder.It overflowes the case.These are new unfired cases.I backed down to 25.5 grains and it still fills the case. But I tapped the case and the powder drops down in the neck.This powder is a new can but It's about 5 or 6 years old.Do you think It's alright to use and why does it fill up the case.I checked the weight of the powder several times to make sure I had the right amount. Thanks for any help

My opposite numbers in the reloading forum have requested that I steer reloading questions their way

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You don't mention the bullet weight, but winchester lists 25.5 gr as the MAX for a fairly light 45 gr bullet on their site, and 24 gr as max for a 50 gr bullet. Unless you are using a very light bullet, I think you're trying to overload it. Where did you get your data?
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See if your book that you got that load out of lists it as a compressed load. Usually indicated by a "c" or a " * ". If not crossscheck the data with another source immediately.[:0]
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to insult your intelligence , but are you sure your not looking at data for the 222 rem " mag " and not the regular 222 remington ?

It could happen , I caught myself doing it once or twice when looking at the newer data books that have all the new short this and ultra short that stuff .

Just a suggestion .
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    Not to insult your intelligence , but are you sure your not looking at data for the 222 rem " mag " and not the regular 222 remington ?

It could happen , I caught myself doing it once or twice when looking at the newer data books that have all the new short this and ultra short that stuff .

Just a suggestion .

THat sounds like a strong possibility..
    I don't think I ever reloaded a cartridge that was so compressed that all the powder would not fit in there.
    Something is wrong here.
    Check and check and then double check![8D]
  • Options
    Gunny0321Gunny0321 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did you get that load recomendation? Was it from one of the reloading manuals? The reason I ask I looked around some checked my manuals and could not find a load for the 222 Remington using Win 748 that called for 26.6 Grains, even checked at 25.5 Grains and just couldn' come up with your load. All of the load data I looked at stopped with this powder (748) and the lightest of bullets at 25 grains. Maybe you need to take a hard look at were you got that information............

RS
  • Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first saw this topic I picked up the Hornady 8th edition that happened to be on my desk and took a look at your load. It was in the ball park with most bullet weights. Since I do not load 222 I was not sure what the issue was, so I left it to the experts.

After seeing some of the responses I ran downstairs and grabbed two more books. Lyman 49th and Speer 14th. Both of these two show that your load is over max.

I am guessing Hornady has an error in their data and your source may as well. Just showing why it is always a good idea to check a few different sources to make sure you are not using a dangerous typo.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    25.5grs of WW 748 is MAX with a 45gr. bullet.
    24grs. is MAX for a 55gr. bullet.
    You can go from there as your 26.6 is WAY too much [B)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    25.5grs of WW 748 is MAX with a 45gr. bullet.
    24grs. is MAX for a 55gr. bullet.
    You can go from there as your 26.6 is WAY too much [B)]

+1

You are trying to stuff too much powder into that case.

FWIW, if I were you, I would try AA2015. That is a much better powder specifically suited to that case. 748 will work in other cartridges so don't consider it a wasted purchase. The most accurate load I ever worked up was 22.5 gr. of AA2015 behind a 50 gr. Sierra varminter. Five shots, .013" group. Yes there was some luck involved with that but that rifle with that powder always shot almost as good on any other day.
  • Options
    boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The data that I'am useing came from the 3rd edition of Hornady reloading manual page 68. useing a 50 gr Hornady bullet. Book was printed in 1980.Found my 47th edition Lyman and that load is starting 22 gr.to 25gr max.I also have a 1987 edition of speer reloading manual # 11 Starting at 24gr. to 26gr.No way will 26 gr. fit into that case with win 748. going to back down to 24.5 and see how that works.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need new books, my friend.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rocky , and would also add that there is a reason for STARTING loads in the Manuals . If you keep starting out with Max Loads you are going to have problems one day ! I'm assuming that you don't drive your Automobile around with the accelerator on the floor . If you show your firearms the same consideration , they will give you good service and last a lifetime in most cases . When you get to the other end of the reloading learning curve you will be saying these same things to someone ! I mean no disrespect nor am I trying to insult your intelligence , My intentions are to preserve the safety of yourself and those around !