In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Resizing die. ATTN> ROCKY RAAB

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
Can a resizing die be made for a specific gun??? If so, who makes them. I was going to send some once fired cases to a manufacture and see if they can make me a die specific to my gun. I cannot get my rcbs dies to resize my cases to the standards where it will fit into the cylinder properly. Iam cosistantly crushing the shoulders of the cases. I tried sizing wax,and lube. Neither will work. The cases will not fit in the cylinders for the last 1/4 ". I have tried all the methods you have given me to no avail. Any info would be appriciated. John

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That only works if you have the reamer that made your chamber or you have a custom ($$$$) reamer made.

What caliber, what brass and what gun?
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bpost I believe this is a 218 Bee problem he has been having.
    Oakie I think you have a simple problem that can be worked out at minimal expense if any. Could be a too small expander ball or something. Hang in there.[:)]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is for a raging bee made by taures.Winchester brass, 218 bee. Thanks for any help. I really want to reload for this gun. I use it to turkey hunt and varmit hunt.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    With out seeing the fired brass It would be hard to tell . BUT bottle necked Cartridges are know to have SET BACK in revolvers . I would first Purchase a GO - NO GO gage. from Wilson But first take the decapping pin out of the sizing die and then size one case and see if it will then go into all chambers of the cylinder. . If the sizing die is not a carbide die . You can file .010 off the base mouth of the die or off the shell holder mounted on the Reloading press . This will allow you to push the case further into the resizing die.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have once-fired cases, I will assume you fired factory loads in that gun, and they chambered properly. If so, there is no reason why a standard sizing die will not work unless there's some problem.

Crushed shoulders can be the result of several things. Too much lube or debris in the sizing die can do it. But the usual cause is over-crimping. If the case is too long or if the seating die is adjusted down too far, the shoulder will buckle outward every time. Another cause is trying to crimp into a bullet that has no crimping groove (cannelure).

See if a sized but not loaded case will chamber. If it does, you have proven that the sizer die is NOT the problem. If a sized but unloaded case doesn't chamber, you have a faulty die or faulty adjustment.

If the sized case chambers, it's a seater problem. Back the seater die out a full turn. You'll have to re-adjust the seater stem to compensate for overall length, of course. But that ought to fix the problem of chambering. It's doubtful you'll need to crimp your Bee rounds even in a revolver because the bullets are so light and there's so little recoil that there's little danger of the bullets backing out under recoil.

To test for that, load six rounds and fire five of them. Measure the before and after overall length of the remaining round. If there's no creep, you are golden. If the bullet does back out a bit, get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, which will crimp with no chance of buckling the shoulder. It will be $10 well spent.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few years ago TCBS advertised that they would do they would match a sizing die to a chamber by sending them cases from the gun!

You might try Sending them a e-mail!