In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading dented brass...?

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
Reloading .223 Brass fired from a Galil Assault Rifle that has the "AR Dent"...Safe or not?

The dents are slight with no cutting and isn't a "crease"... after resizing and reloading the finished cartridge still shows a mark and the dent can be felt with your thumb nail.

Opinions vary from, "Get rid of the dented brass" to "If it loads okay, use it".

Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it loads okay , use it .

I had some brass with the same dents your talking about , I loaded them slightly less then I load for my 700 ( from 25 gr's of H-335 , down to 24 gr's , using a 55 gr bullet )
    The dents will be gone after you fire them , at least the ones I loaded did , and I'm still loading them .

One thing I also found out when loading for the 223 is that it seems that the casings need to be trimmed if shot out of an AR styl rifle , they seem to be anywhere from .015 to .020" long , but after trimming , and fired out of my 700 they are still within spec ,
    Mil brass or factory
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used slightly dented, Full length resized brass with no ill effects.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    load it and shoot it until the neck splits
  • Options
    tskrytskry Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do it all the time

load it up and have fun[:p]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I have never had a problem with slightly dented brass and I'm too cheap to toss good brass out, but I only use the dented brass in plinking loads and never in any load that I'm looking for top accuracy.
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    I have never had a problem with slightly dented brass and I'm too cheap to toss good brass out, but I only use the dented brass in plinking loads and never in any load that I'm looking for top accuracy.

+1

You can also use the dented ones to get your sights/scope on the paper.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Well didnt ya know that ya straighten all brass from the inside[:D][;)] Plink away my friend I have never had a problem thus far[:)]