In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39

I recently purchased a Lee 7.62x39 reloading die, I am wondering why they gave two depriming pins that are the same size .310 and they are not opening the mouth of the case enough for me to seat the bullet. I put my mic on the bullet and the bullet size is .312.

Comments

• Options
    lonewolfe5lonewolfe5 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know if it is possible to load 150 gr bullets for a Remington 799 in 7.62x39. I called Remington and they said the bore dia. was .311. I have a hornady manuel that lists loads for the .310 123 gr bullet in a sks. Would these loads be max for the 799 also?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    First off, the standard for 7.62X39 bullets is in fact .310".

Second, Lee like everyone else makes dies that size a little undersized to allow good neck tension. The expander on my 30-06 for instance is .306".

What bullet are you using? Lee also makes dies for 7.7 Jap, 7.65 Argentine, etc. that use a larger expander which should swap out with yours just fine. I bet if you call them they even send you one free.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The LEE dies should have come with an expander for .308 and one for .311 bullets. If both are the same size, contact the company for a replacement. What bullets are you using and did you chamfer the inside of the case neck generously? If you're using plated or very soft jacketed bullets, you may need to slightly flair the mouth in order to start the bullet w/o snagging.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to take your chamfer tool and put a slight bevel on the inside of the neck.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck is correct +1[:)]