In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

333OKH belted

hanco1hanco1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
Does anyone know it the 333OKH belted uses .333 or .338 bullets. The rifle was built by Charlie O'neil.

Comments

• Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charles O'neil was one of the developers along with Elmer Keith and Don Hopkins back in 1945. It actually uses .333 bullets; there were no .338's back then. Your original .333OKH rifle may have been rechambered to the .334OKH which was based on the .300H&H case but still used .333 bullets.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "All Tripped Up | Rifles | Guns & Ammo Apr 25, 2010 ... The steep-shouldered .333 OKH Belted came later; it used .338 bullets. Replacing .333 bullets with .338s in the original (rimless) OKH case ...

You might think about slugging the Bbl.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, slug and measure. That way you'll be sure of what you have instead of guessing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Had the barrel slugged. It is a .333 diameter. The article in Guns and Ammo is wrong or at least about the rifle that I have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any ideas about a load for a .333 OKH belted? I have dies and 225 grain Barnes X bullets. I have about 60 cases made from .338 Win Mag brass. I don't know if the cases are already fire formed or not, but they look bigger than an new 338 case. Should I try to contact the Barnes Co. to see if they have any load info? Sometimes in the reloading manual they say how many grains of water a case will hold.Is that the way to go? I could use some ideas. Thanks
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not surprised that an article in Guns and Ammo is wrong.
    The only use for .338" bullets that I know of prior to the .338 Win Mag was in the .33 WCF.
    All the OKHs used the true .333" Jeffrey bullets