In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm rem mag brass

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I've heard alot of talk about winchester, remington, hornady,norma brass. I haven't heard anything about federal. I have a bunch of factory ammo brass that I've fired and am ready to load. Is federal good brass?

Comments

• Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'v never had a problem with it , and it should be just as good as Rem. Win . or any of the others .
    Load it up .
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    You won't have any problem with Federal, if anything their brass is a little heavier.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambambam,

If your reloading intentions are to be on the low to middlin' side, use the Federal brass. If you're wanting to use the cartridge as it was designed, sell the Federal brass and get some good brass. Federal brass has always been a tad soft and will not stand up to repetitive reloading or top end loads as the cartridge was designed. This is common knowledge for most reloaders.

Good luck with your project!

Best.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I guess i'll use these to get my new scope on paper. I'll switch to better brass before I load my loads I intend to use.
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    bambambam,

If your reloading intentions are to be on the low to middlin' side, use the Federal brass. If you're wanting to use the cartridge as it was designed, sell the Federal brass and get some good brass. Federal brass has always been a tad soft and will not stand up to repetitive reloading or top end loads as the cartridge was designed. This is common knowledge for most reloaders.

Good luck with your project!

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used federal brass, but that is because the federal premium 150gr nosler balistic tip ammo shoot into one hole at 100yds in my sendero. The brass was free,..so I used it. I have had great results with it, but then again I have not loaded it many times over since the factory ammo has made me not do much loading for that rifle. It is hard to improve on the results I get from that fed prem ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

That has always been my point. Shoot the factory ammunition and it's great. After that, sell the brass. We used to buy FGMM in .308 Win. by the case to use for competitions and at one point I had several thousand pieces of brass. Reloading it back to factory specs resulted in poor performance and case life.

I bought a couple of thousand cases of .300 RUM brass from a custom run made by Federal from a 'custom' rifle builder. It lasted 4 reloads as long as I stayed off the upper end. If I ran it at the upper end, it was over after the second loading. There's no point to having a cartridge like the .300 RUM is you can't use it to its potential.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

That has always been my point. Shoot the factory ammunition and it's great. After that, sell the brass. We used to buy FGMM in .308 Win. by the case to use for competitions and at one point I had several thousand pieces of brass. Reloading it back to factory specs resulted in poor performance and case life.

I bought a couple of thousand cases of .300 RUM brass from a custom run made by Federal from a 'custom' rifle builder. It lasted 4 reloads as long as I stayed off the upper end. If I ran it at the upper end, it was over after the second loading. There's no point to having a cartridge like the .300 RUM is you can't use it to its potential.

Best.

Question then, what brass do you prefer for the 7mm Rem Mag.? Norma is way more consistent. But, it too, is a bit soft in the head. I personally prefer Winchester for 7mm Rem Mag. and other cartridges. Although, in a number of cartridges, I've seen Winchester's quality slip a bit.

FWIW, I would prefer Lapua in any round I can get brass in. They don't make brass for the 7mm Rem Mag. as I understand it.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior

I had a good response to you but it went "fritzzzz" and disappeared into the unknown of the black cyberspace!

Regarding: your comment - " FWIW, I would prefer Lapua in any round I can get brass in. They don't make brass for the 7mm Rem Mag. as I understand it. " Correct.

Lapua - does not make the brass for it.

Norma - does make the brass. ( 7mm Rem Mag - Product #27021 )

PMC - was making the brass and ammo for it ; now?

Remington - brass and ammo made and available for it.

Hornady - was making the brass.

Winchester - was making the brass.

http://www.lapua.com/en/home.html

http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=28&Lang=2&DocumentID=390&Submeny=4&Rubrik=Components&Title=Norma Cases

http://www.pmcammo.com/home.html

http://www.hornady.com/reloading/cases

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-Rem-Mag-c-1082/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

Winchester brass is fine general hunting and reloading. It can be sorted to provide more consistent results but that raises the price per piece of course.

I just got 500 pieces of RWS 7mm Rem. Mag. brass since I've used their brass for quite a few years now. They seem to be 'catch as catch can' here in the U.S., so I buy it when I can find a supplier. Horneber is even harder to find let alone obtain for reasonable prices but I find a small number of folks who bring it in for us occasionally.

I gave up on Federal a long time ago for reloading but even Winchester and Remington are slipping nowadays. It takes buying a larger quantity just to be able to sort, to achieve anything for competition. Then you're left with fixing the flash holes, neck diameters and neck wall thickness. Each piece then becomes very valuable.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've seen the RWS here in Minnesota at Gander. The Ammo not the brass. Thanks, that is something to look for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

I got one of those e-mail 'blasts' from Huntington's out in California about the fact that they are carrying a larger line of the RWS brass cases. It's not inexpensive but it is a higher quality.

It's looking like this is going to be a stock up year for brass and bullets for current projects so sales and discounts are going to be important. I've got too many disparate cartridges in process with little carry over or common denominators for shared cases. I have to concentrate on doing that better next year.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

I got one of those e-mail 'blasts' from Huntington's out in California about the fact that they are carrying a larger line of the RWS brass cases. It's not inexpensive but it is a higher quality.

It's looking like this is going to be a stock up year for brass and bullets for current projects so sales and discounts are going to be important. I've got too many disparate cartridges in process with little carry over or common denominators for shared cases. I have to concentrate on doing that better next year.

Best.

Thanks,

I'll look at them again. I never think to go there. I did buy 100 pieces of the .308 Norma brass from them though. First group of five from the rifle was .817" and second group (5) was .379" That was with Nosler CC 168's and Hornady 208 Amaxes. I boffed my next group of 15 using the new Hornady 208 BTHP's. But, most of them went into one large hole. The total group size was 1.123" Not too shabby.