In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9 mm largo/.38 auto; thing that make you go hmmmm

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
a short time ago a young fella asked about reloading the 9mm largo, and mention was made of the .38 auto. I have a star pistol in 9mm l (and reload for it), and came into a lot of .38 auto factory ammo. so comparison time. set up the coronograph (Oelher 35p); my hand loads did just over 1000 fps, the .38 auto did just over 1200 fps[:0]. next I got out my .38 super (Taurus 1911), same result.......so I tried some win. .38 super ammo (+p on the box).....I guess the 'Super' ain't so super after all.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did you get from the +P Win. .38 Super? I've got a bunch of .38 Super ammo (and a Colt Govt. I inherited from my father) and I think I might have some .38 auto stuff, too. I've got some 9 Styer factory ammo and that old "square" Austrian pistol. I've never run any of it over my Oehler 35P. I guess that's another project I'll have to put on my "bucket" list.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "What did you get from the +P Win. .38 Super?".........win. .38 super(#x38asphp).125 gan silvertip h.p. +p=1168 fps ave.; 26 s.d.
    .38 auto, 130 gr. super x (1950's, ammo) 130 gns fmj, 1265 ave., 26 s.d
  • Options
    jade30jade30 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did you get from the +P Win. .<a href="http://jadebuddhashop.com/"&gt; jade</a> 38 Super? I've got a bunch of .38 Super ammo (and a Colt Govt. I inherited from my father) and I think I might have some .38 auto stuff, too. I've got some 9 Styer factory ammo and that old "square" Austrian pistol. I've never run any of it over my Oehler 35P. I guess that's another project I'll have to put on my "bucket" list.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    That is interesting. Most data I find predicts a top velocity for the 38 acp of 1150-1250 fps. If that's really what the super was clocking in at something here speaks of a long standing myth.

I extrapolated my own data by starting with 1 gr of bullseye and a 125 gr lead round nose and worked up in 1/2 gr increments until I got to one that reliably operated the gun (3.5 gr). With book max loads of 5-5.5 gr of bullseye I felt safe in doing this. It's mild, leaves the brass at my feet, and is pretty accurate to boot.