In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 groups

woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
Can't seem to get a good group from my 19ll Colt at 25 yards. Shoots fine indoors but groups open up a longer ranges. Tried some hand loads today, bullseye, unique, titegroup and red dot. Bullseye and titegroup kept shots withing the nine ring, two in the black. Red dot and unique inside the eight ring one in the black. Frustrating. WW2 gun, could be shot out and too loose. Is it too much to expect of a gun to produce a two inch group at 25 yards?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "to produce a two inch group at 25 yards?"............as issued, yes too much to expect.....anything under 6-8" would be good
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Military 1911A1,s are built a little loose so they will not choke with dirt and mud in them.
    Plus the stock sights don't have a very good picture.
    You might try fitting a barel bushing and longer link to the barrel to tighten up the groups.
    If it is in good condition, I wouldn't do anything to the slide or frame.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 inches at 25 is good for a ball gun. A great match gun will shoot wad cutters into 1-1/2 inch at 50 yards.

Have you tried 4.5 of bullseye and a hard cast 200 SWC?
  • Options
    woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using better eyeglasses helped a lot. Im using my computer glasses which allow me to see the front sight very clearly, an improvement. And that load of 4.5 grains of bullseye has also been recommended by another bullseye shooter. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    RedRalfRedRalf Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greetings!

I agree with the first few remarks that you are getting GREAT groups for an "as issued" 1911. They suggested a few things to improve that, again I agree.

Something else to consider, depending upon the age of your eyes ... try an iris. As the eyes mature they (like the rest of you) do not respond like they used to.

If you think about old 35mm SLR technology, the HIGH F stop number was a tiny hole that gave GREAT depth of field. An iris can do the same for you! It is an adjustable opening (iris) that when you look through it and make it smaller, you will at some point see the target AND sites pop into amazingly clear view.

One thing to watch for, this took me a few times to realize ... but you have to spend time adjusting the iris to your shooting glasses. You want the iris to drop into view where you normally site. After noticing my groups go all over the paper, I realized I was moving my eye to the iris, rather than the iris to my eye.

Try it, it makes a BIG difference to mature eyes!

Ralph