In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

J-B Weld Stock Bedding

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I was browsing a bunch of reloading suppliers tonight looking for sale items and stumbled apon an idea. I saw that suppliers were selling J-B Weld to bed stocks. I did a search and found a forum where someone had illustrated doing a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 Win. Has anyone tried bedding a rifle with J-B Weld, and results?

www.24hourcampfire.com

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have no clue, I've used Accra Glass for more years than I care to remember, with great results. I use it for stock repair, and many other uses, it's a very versital product. In my neck of the woods it's refered to as "hot cake syrup", we use it for everything, and probably put it on our hot cakes in the morning.
    W.D.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used J-B to set pillars and reinforce recoil lugs but not bedding. I think it would be too thick to flow into areas needing bedding.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it would work, but the first time you missed a spot with release agent would be the last time you had that rifle apart!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Ive never used JB weld, but I have used Arcaglas on a few wooden stocks. I use SC Johnson paste wax rather than the release agent that comes with the Brownell kit. A old timer at the local gunshop told me this. It works great! He told me I would have nothing but trouble with the release agent, but I have never tried it to verify that.

While on the subject, has anyone ever Acraglas bedded a sythetic stock?

Im thinking of doing this, and would be thankful for any pointers.

I thought it worth a try for the price of a kit ($21) over the price of a replacement Remington 700 stock (anywere from $100 to $500+).

If anyone has done this, plaease let me know the results.

Thank You,

Middle
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got two rifles that my grandfather bedded and set pillars with J-B Weld. Watched him do both rifles. I can honestly say that it holds up just as well as Acraglas, and flows just as easily too.

To reinforce what Rocky already hinted at, don't be stingy with the release agent.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The JB might be slightly heavier and thicker than Acra Glass. I second what Rocky said. I have an 03A3 that has the scope bases attached with JB weld and it has been used from 0* to 100* F w/o popping the bases off from recoil or handling. I've had Acra Glass bedding mistakes that came loose when frozen and whacked with a mallet but I doubt it would be that easy with JB.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle
    Ive never used JB weld, but I have used Arcaglas on a few wooden stocks. I use SC Johnson paste wax rather than the release agent that comes with the Brownell kit. A old timer at the local gunshop told me this. It works great! He told me I would have nothing but trouble with the release agent, but I have never tried it to verify that.

Im thinking of doing this, and would be thankful for any pointers.

I thought it worth a try for the price of a kit ($21) over the price of a replacement Remington 700 stock (anywere from $100 to $500+).

If anyone has done this, plaease let me know the results.

Thank You,

Middle

You asked this!

Yep! Do it all the time! Have done several of the bolt action synthetics of most all calibers, including magnums! I use Brownells Acraglass gel and use a reverse dovetail taper dremil bit and small drill bit, so as to lock in the glass to the stock. I've never had any issues do such! Some ask, why glass bad a synethic. I do it to float the barrel and for accuracy consistency, and this allows me to remove and re-install a stock and the gun still shoots to the same point on the target or animal!
    Several of the synthetics are hollow at the barrel channel area therefore requiring more glass material as compared to a wooden stock! Also be careful when clamping a synethic stock because some (most) have a hollow stock and can be cracked if clamped too tight!