In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgdon Universal & H110 Questions

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm currently using Hodgdon Universal for my 44 Magnum & 44 Special pistol loads and have noticed more smoke than other factory loads I've shot.

I'm OK with it, but want to know if anyone else has noticed it as well? Maybe it's just me, and I'm seeing things.

I'm also looking at getting the Hodgdon H110 for the 44 Magnum loads only. Is this a good powder?

Currently, I'm trying to go with Hodgdon powders simply due their availability at the nearby Bass Pro Shops. Otherwise, I'd try other powders.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have been using it in 44 Magnum for the last 30 years with good results.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What bullets?
    Most smoke is from smoldering bullet lube on cast bullets.
    Jacketed bullets show only the smoke from the powder itself. Which is not much with any powder I have loaded with.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Hawk said.

Universal is a great powder for light to medium loads. H110 is a full-throttle powder that is not safe to reduce from maximum charge. So H110(W296) is a one-trick pony.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've used H-110 for about 30+ years for my 44mag hunting loads.
    Works very good. There is only about a 1.0-2.0gr. range in the Hodgdon load data for use with all bullet weights.
    Stick with that data and you will be OK.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    What bullets?
    Most smoke is from smoldering bullet lube on cast bullets.
    Jacketed bullets show only the smoke from the powder itself. Which is not much with any powder I have loaded with.

I'm loading plain lead round nose, 240 grain. Carbide dies, so no lube at all.

Maybe it's just me, maybe the smoke is the same as others.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lube he means is on the lead bullet. And he is correct: that's what is making the smoke.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The lube he means is on the lead bullet. And he is correct: that's what is making the smoke.

Makes sense to me. Thanks. [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm actually very happy with the Universal, I'll probably stick with it due the replies here. Just thought I'd ask about the smoke and the H110.

Thanks to all of you for the help. This forum is like school. [:p]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H110 is great with jacketed bullets with 44mag...DO NOT reduce loads with this powder or 296
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    H110 is great with jacketed bullets with 44mag...DO NOT reduce loads with this powder or 296

What about non jacketed lead round nose? I'm not at all interested in reducing the loads, just not sure if the H110 is for jacketed only.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any load for H110 with jacketed bullets will probably drive the lead bullets too fast and lead the barell. The H110 window is small so near max loads are the norm.The universal is more for a plinkng load and can be played with a lot more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Any load for H110 with jacketed bullets will probably drive the lead bullets too fast and lead the barell. The H110 window is small so near max loads are the norm.The universal is more for a plinkng load and can be played with a lot more.

Thank you, that makes sense. Learning here almost daily.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oregon Trail lists several loads for H110/W296 in their manual for Lasercast bullets. Those are harder bullets, so the usual cautions of using lead bullets mentioned above may not apply.

I also use H110/W296 in .357 magnum gas check bullets in both revolvers and rifles. If I had a .44 g/c mold, I'd probably do the same.

I prefer lead bullets vs. jacketed bullets unless there's compelling reasons for the jacketed bullet (and there are, of course).
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I use 110 for its' intended purpose of driving an 85gr short jacket out of my .30 Carbine Blackhawk at very acceptable velocity. Not much smoke.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would it be a bad idea to clean the lube off of the lead bullets to help reduce the smoke? Or is that just plain stupid?
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would never call a guy with almost 1200 posts stupid!

But....why clean the lube off the bullet? The lube is there for several purposes, all of which are more important than smoke. I think I finally (well, I'm slow) realized the value of lube when breaking in a couple of revolvers and a .357 rifle. After I got over the shock/dismay of looking at what appeared to be dirty/ugly/skanky barrels, when I cleaned them, the end result were pristine, lovely broken-in barrels, with no copper, no lead and lands as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Obviously, you can (and I have) leave on too much bullet lube when sizing cast bullets. But that's different from using commercial lead bullets. Most I've used have the right amount and you'd chance leading your barrel if you remove it.

W296 was designed expressly by Winchester for .357 Magnum cartridges, while H110 was marketed initially as a .410 shotgun load, and, incidentally, as a .44 Magnum load. They've always been almost identical, and since Hodgdon now produces Winchester powders, they're now absolutely identical (subject to batch variances).

So go ahead and use H110 for your .44 Magnum. I don't use it for my .44 Special, mostly because I've never seen any data for same, and I'd just rather not blow up my very nice Model 21.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In truth, they've always been exactly the same powder in different jugs. Any differences in load data are due to lot-lot variation or lab technique.

W296/H110 is intended as a full-throttle magnum powder. It really has few if any normal cast-bullet uses because those bullets are not very compatible with such use. They can be used that way, but only with special methods; even then, the results may not be satisfactory.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky and WinMike- Thanks for the input. I'll just keep on reloading without any bullet lube cleaning. [;)]

It's not a big deal, it just seems to dirty up the gun pretty good after 100 rounds. Maybe that's normal. Now that I'm reloading, I'm shooting more rounds than before. [:p]