In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Alliant Unique powder dirty?

NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
I've read a few scattered posts which stated that Alliant Unique powder is dirty in low velocity rounds, less so in high velocity rounds. My manuals, on the other hand, (Lyman and Hornady) state that it is a good powder for .45 ACP.

I'm considering using this when I start reloading .45, with 230 grain FMJ bullets, for about 800-850 fps.

Does anyone have a recipe for me, or know if Unique is, indeed, an expecially dirty powder?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any manual will have tested loads for the 45 ACP.

All powders burn best within a narrow "window" of pressures. The 45 ACP is a low-pressure round, so the chances are that a medium-fast powder like Unique will burn a bit "dirtier" than a faster powder. If clean burning is a key goal of yours, use a faster modern powder like Clays or American Select -- or the original and still standard military powder: Bullseye.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Universal Clays very clean burning. Same burn rate as Unique.
    You can find load data here http://www.hodgdon.com/index.html
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it in .38 Spl, .357 mag, .44 Spl. .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm and .45 Colt mild-velocity loads all the time. Since everytime I shoot any gun in these calibers with any powder my gun will get dirty, I can see the guns might seem to be "dirtier" with Unique than with H110, Titegroup, Clays or Bullseye. I guess if it's a torture-test marathon 20k round session it might be an issue, but so far using Unique has never affected anything with me when it came to pulling the trigger or hitting the target.

I recommend checking the Alliant website for the most up-to-date Unique loads with accurate pressure ratings, but my ACP load is 6.0 gr Unique. with the 230 MC, it's about 835 fps fom my 5" 1911-style gun.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The now gone Hercules Powder Co. used cotton fibers in the manufacture of their powders, that changed somewhere in the 70's.(?)
    Using wood fibers was much cheaper but also produced a powder that was "dirtier". It's my understanding that Alliant has gone back to using cotton as their raw material. Personally, whenever I use Unique for anything, I get it out of my 50's vintage can....CLEAN!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    6.0grs. will get you in your fps range. You can go to 6.5grs. max. in 45acp.
    The newer Unique burns a lot cleaner.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see any problem with Unique. The load of 6.0 grains burns clean, approximates ball ammo and is very accurate in my experience.

Tite group does burn cleaner but unless you are going to shoot 5,000 rounds between cleanings your gun won't care.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So??? Don't you clean after shooting?
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique works fine for me.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    So??? Don't you clean after shooting?

I shoot several thousand rounds of 45 in NRA bullseye competition every year. I clean the guns when they are dirty to the point where a malfunction may happen. On the Buckmark that cleaning is never. The Gary Madore built Colt 1911 wad cutter gun gets bore brushed after every match just to make sure there is no lead smears, a slide off cleaning happens about every 1,500-1,700 rounds.

My barn 22 has gone 30,000 rounds with only an occasional shot of carb cleaner on the bolt face for cleaning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the great information! I was planning on using 6 grains of Unique to start, and I'm happy to hear from others that they concur.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of Unique being described as a dirty powder, but I noticed such when working up a reduced load for a 223 rifle for squirrel hunting at 22 magnum rim fire rifle velocities!

I got very good accuracy using small pistol primers and 6 gr of Alliant unique if I kept the bore cleaned of soot, but noticed that the bore was almost clogged, sometimes with just one shot! I carried a weed-eater cord with a patch attached to run through the bore of a single shot rifle at least every 3 shots or more often if it looked bad!
    I switched after testing to Accurate Arms 5744 and found it to be cleaner burning and just as accurate and more user friendly due to not being as critical of powder weight for accuracy! I use 12g of the 5744 in the 223 with 45-55 gr bullets and the small pistol primers for squirrel, rabbit hunting and just plinking and reduced noise level. (noise level at about same as a 22 mag rimfire rifle)

I also use 5744 powder in several center fire rifles, like 30/06, 7mm rem mag, 7mm wby mag, 270, using info from caliber specific manuals or from Accurate Arms info for reduced, low recoil loads at about 30/30 velocities for youths and women! By playing with the 5744 weight grains, usually I can find a load that produces 30/30 velocities and do not have to re-adjust the scope at 80-100 yards for almost same point of impact on target of low and high velocity reloads and sometimes I get lucky and the low vel load will shoot about 1-2 inchs higher vertically as compared to the high vel load!

I also save my High velocity brass that is no longer desirable for reloading the high velocity loads and use the brass for low velocity loads in all caliber guns with no problems of the brass splitting, bursting, etc! The low vel loads are easy on the old centerfire brass with no stretching, etc, therefore the brass can be reloaded numerous times using the low vel re-loads!

I just try to use the unique in pistols, but never really considered it dirty in them also! I'll start watching for such again!
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess when I describe a powder as dirty is when your fingers get dirty or black or gsr. Unique does do this. Unique is a great powder but I perfer Bullseye as it fires as well but you don't get the black finger issue. Thus a cleaner powder.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was once a member of this forum that described Hercules powders as "Flammable Dirt".[:D] I do not know who this was but they owe me for a new keyboard as it caused me to laugh so hard I spit out the Pop I was drinking.[:0]He hit the nail right on the head.[;)]
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    I guess when I describe a powder as dirty is when your fingers get dirty or black or gsr. Unique does do this. Unique is a great powder but I perfer Bullseye as it fires as well but you don't get the black finger issue. Thus a cleaner powder.

Tite group will cure all your problems and works as well as bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I'm going to try the Unique and if my fingers get excessively dirty compared to the RWS rounds I've been firing, I'll switch to Titegroup or Bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, gang, I've tried out my Unique-loaded .45 rounds at the range. Accuracy with 230 grain FMJ and 6.2 grains of Unique was outstanding.

I shot a total of about 75 rounds, and my fingers were clean at the end of the range period--including picking up my shot brass and putting everything away (as well as reloading, etc.)

I'd say Unique is actually cleaner than some factory ammo I've shot (in fact MOST factory ammo I've shot).

There was some noticeable flash out of my Desert Eagle 1911, (not excessive, but still there) but no smoke and again, accuracy was great, as good as any ammo I've fired out of this gun.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.