In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Metal cleaning media

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
On the expert board "Nononsense" indicated he was using small metal cylinders as a cleaning media for brass. The interest lead me to several web sites and it looks like just the thing for brass.

My question (which was not answered by several attempts to the producer of the product) is: Can this be used without to much wear in a vibratory bowl cleaner with a plastic bowl, or do you need a metal tumbler style which they sell?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking, a rotary tumbler vs. a vibrator is needed as the weight of the media just overwhelms the smaller vibrator model.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would expect the action of the vibratory to eventually wear holes in the plastic bowl with stainless steel. It could also damage the brass with that much vibration.

I'm seriously considering getting one of the tumblers and using the stainless media. It's hard to argue with the clean shining examples.[:D]
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has never damaged my brass or rotary tumbler.

CP
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a rotary tumbler to use metal media. A vibratory finisher will not move the stainless steel media around the bowl.