In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cold bore shots

JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
Just wondering, on average how long do you wait between shots when your working on loads in a specific rifle to stay as close to "cold bore" as possible??

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't go for cold bore, just not hot to the touch, I shoot three to five, waiting a few seconds between shots trying to shoot each shot in the same wind conditions as the previous. If the gun has a light barrel I'll wait 30-45 seconds between shots.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During deer season prep, I sight all the rifles I'm going to use and clean them a week or two early. Then every morning that the wind isn't howling, I take a couple out and shoot them once each. A while later, I take a couple more and do the same. After I've gone through the pack, I clean with one or two wet patches and a couple of dry ones. I repeat this for maybe 3 days if I don't know the rifles from previous seasons. Then I leave the bores dirty from that one shot and repeat the morning test for a couple of days with the dirty bore. By doing this, I establish both group size and cold shot strike compared to warm bore groups. If rain doesn't damage my targets, I can shoot the whole test for each rifle on individual targets.
    Of course this works better if you're retired and have your own range.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, thats kind of what I do. Usually have a couple rifles I'm working with. Set up separate targets and try to let cool as long as possible. If the weather is nice and I get a good organized start, I can usually let them cool several minutes between 3 shot groups and then down to single shot on target after a 5 minute cool down. I'm not retired but I do have a range (out to 200') off my deck.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep in mind, during a match, you will only have minutes for 5 record shots. I try to run the ladder slowly, no more than 5 in a row, then a cool down period.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the others have noted I try to keep my barrel as cool as possible. I stop when it gets uncomfortbly hot (warm) to the touch.

In tactical comps that's a score point to hit a long range silhouette on a cold bore. So, you have to get an idea of where the rifle shoots with a cold bore. Some say it's rifle, some say it's the shooter.

It's good to do as Mobuck say's to clean 'em and then each morning rotationally 'foul' them back in. And each morning, if you can, take it out for a 'cold-bore shot'. Then, you know how it hits with a cold bore.