In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.257 Roberts/RL22 & 120

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Despite my preference for 100 grain Nosler Partitians in my .257, I came upon a few hundred 120 grain Grand Slams and so have to work up a good load. I know the drill: starting low and working up slowly watching for any and all pressure signs.
Still, I'd be interested in knowing what experience others have had with this combination.
Rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye. Lee shows max. at 44 grains. Speer 12 says max. is 43 for Plus P loads (!) and Alliant lists 44 as max. for regular .257 and 46.5 as tops for Plus P.
43 grains are giving me about 2,550 fps and 44 around 2,625. No signs of pressure though the 44 do seem to cluster a bit tighter for me.
Temperature around 80 degrees. Standard Rifle primers, WW and new WW brass.
Thanks, guys.[:D]

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

I was just working up loads using RE22 in my .257 Rob for 110's. I'm topping out at 47.5 gr. with a 110. The book shows 48. But, I'm right at the point where the primers aren't rounded anymore. The edges still have a nice radius but the primer itself is flat. My rifle has a bit longer barrel, and the lighter bullet I get a smidge more velocity. According to my drop charts I'm at 2950. (100 vs. 300)

I wouldn't see there being any problem working up to 46.5 gr. of RE22 with a 120. As long as you aren't seeing pressure signs and the groups don't go downhill.

Of course there is plenty of room in that case to go even slower, say RE-25 or H1000

Numbers edited to give correct values. Still need to start safe and work up.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Sandwarrior,
    I thought I might be hearing from you.
    I have no desire, or need, to find "max"; too many variables up there for my taste, but I'll edge toward 46.5 and see how things look along the way. Stay tuned.
    Rob
    p.s. Whose 110? Target bullet? Hunter?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

Those are 110's that Berger discontinued. They are hollow-point with a slightly long ogive. Nowhere close to a VLD length. With a flat base.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

After I posted, I thought, "Why don't I try some H1000 out??" Turns out it was pretty good for accuracy, 5 shots, 1.5" @ 300 yds. But, the RE22 got better velocity and still got about the same accuracy.[:D]

I have plenty of room to move up with the H1000 and see how that works.

Let me know how yours comes out? Thx

-SW