In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for load data dpms lr308

just got a new DPMS LR308 1/10 twist 24in barrel.

a buddy said he has a lot of 198 match king he wants to swap me and im wondering if anyone has any experience with a 197-200 gr bullet out of this rifle

i have started with 150 gr silver tips that were left over from my cetme

for now it is just a paper killer, looking at hanging around the 200yd side at the range.

i have a few hundred 168 nosler that i was think about using but the price is cheep on the 197 gr he is offering up.

sometimes a good deal sux's if the gun does not care for them like the 1150 80gr .224 i got a killer deal on not to long ago but my NEA heavy barrel didn't like them.

COMEBACKWITHWARRANT.jpg

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine shoots the 147 gr FMJBT real well with AA2230.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    guess the dpms boys are keeping this stuff a secret[8]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHEVELLE427,

"a buddy said he has a lot of 198 match king..."

"...but the price is cheep on the 197 gr he is offering up."

I haven't heard of or shot any 198 grain Sierra Match Kings. This also includes the 197 grain MK mentioned later.

Most of the shooting done with these gas guns in the 155 - 175 grain range. If you really intend to shoot the 200 grain Sierra Match Kings then you'll need a powder such as Accurate 2495 for performance.

I suggest getting a few from him to test rather than trading for all of them and taking a chance on them not performing up to your expectations.

Best.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    I HAVE 2 BOX OF 220.

thought about loading 5 or so up just to see, , on the 198/200gr he said he would give me a hand full to try out ,learned my lesson on the 80gr .224.

did find a home for the 80gr and made a few bucks to boot.

sometimes it is best to ask the forms first to get some kind of input.

saw a new powder out think it was bcr blr something like that it had a gold metallic label, some said it was the latest greatest right now.

i loaded up a few 155 165 the other night with h414, to see what it will do
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would SO measure those 198's to see exactly what they were. They sound like 8mm to me.

As far as what your lr308 would like, I would suggest standard match loads. 150 SMK's, 155/167 Lapua Scenar's, 168 and 175 SMK's. Nosler makes some good 155 and 168's too. Try some 190 SMK's if you like then go with the 208 Hornady and 210 Berger to see what they will do in your rifle.

Take the best you can get your rifle to shoot.

The best powder range for those is AA2015 for the light end and about H4350 or VV N160 for the slow end. Don't forget to try RE 15 on light to medium (standard M118 Special Ball uses RE-15) and RE17, RE-19, RE-22 for the heavier bullets. RE-17 is an especially good powder if you don't stay up in the abusive upper tier of it's performance capability.

I didn't get great velocity using 40 gr. of AA2015 from my bolt action .308 under 168 CC's but they sure were accurate. Funny thing though, the firing almost sounded like a mortar to me. It gave very little recoil and had the "POONK" sound. But the rounds lobbed right into the same place every time.

Edit:

A little caveat here. If you go with the slower powders you must be using the heavier bullets That will create enough back pressure to use all of the energy of the slower powder. Otherwise, like all gas guns you will have too slow of a powder burn and too high of pressure at the gas port. That will wreck your rifle.