In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dumb question

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I have a 223 remington in a 1:12 twist. Could i get the twist re done to one in 6? Add rifling to half of what it is? Thanks

-JD

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No.
    Your only option would be a new barrel.
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, you can delete this post. Not worth it being on here!

-JD
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you reload, sometimes a 1:12 twist barrel will shoot fair groups (1 inch at 100 yards) with 60 and even 70 grain bullets.

The slower twist !;14 and 1:16 USUALLY dont like bullet weights above 50gr and do their best at 35-40gr bullets!

The 1:12 though will sometimes give you a pleasant surprise and like the 40gr up to 70 gr when you use the correct powder. (smometimes the same powder will work for all, then other times you have to use a little slower powder for the heavier bullets.

I've loaded several 223 with 1;12 twist with 60gr Noslers and the Speer 70 gr and use for Whitetail deer hunting with excellent results!

If you are benchrest shooting, you will have to change barrels to the faster twist type![;)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not a dumb question!!! I hope a few more can learn about it too.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only dumb question is: "What did I just buy?"
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have a Rem 700 223 with a 1/12 twist
    and I shoot 52 gr Sierra Match king bullets
    over H4895. clover leafs at 100 yds- 5 shots

The rifle has a heavy barrel and alum pillar bedded
    syn stock, but I don't see why a slim barrel
    would not be accurate for a 3 shot group.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    I have a Rem 700 223 with a 1/12 twist
    and I shoot 52 gr Sierra Match king bullets
    over H4895. clover leafs at 100 yds- 5 shots

The rifle has a heavy barrel and alum pillar bedded
    syn stock, but I don't see why a slim barrel
    would not be accurate for a 3 shot group.

I have a Rem 700 BDL wood regular barrel 1;12 that will cloverleaf up to 55gr Match bullets. (Reloader 15) It's glass bedded and barrel floated.

When I go to the 60 and 70 grain hunting bullets It opens up to above 1 inch average at 100 yards. (uses Varget powder)

I have a Howa, Ruger, Savage and only one of them that will get above 50 gr bullet with a decent group is MY Ruger, but I've tested other rifles of same make that would group the heavuier bullets and some of the Rem 700 !;12 did not like the heavier (above 55gr) bullets.
    Bottom line though is if you want to use a heavy 223 bullet, like above 55g and want cloverleaf accuracy get yourself a fast twist barrel gun (faster than 1;12) and start reloading and tuning! (at least you are starting out with what MIGHT work)
    Starting out with the proper twist barrel You won't be not trying to MAKE A SILK PURSE OUT OF A SOWS EAR
  • Options
    edited November -1
    typo error in above post!

It should have read:
    When I go to the 60 and 70 grain hunting bullets It opens up to about 1 inch average at 100 yards. (uses Varget powder)
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    My Rem 700 BDL .270 at 150yds will
    put 3 rounds completely covered
    by a quarter with factory fodder if
    I do my part.

The 4 and 5th rounds are flyers.
    I don't care about the flyers,,who
    can get 3 shots off at a deer in the North East?

Well I can with my 742. Of course after the
    2nd shot the deer is in the next county.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no dumb questions, however, there are those who are too dumb to ask questions ! (or listen)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

"I have a 223 remington in a 1:12 twist. Could i get the twist re done to one in 6? Add rifling to half of what it is? Thanks"

I don't consider this to be a dumb question at all. In fact, it's a good question which allows for an explanation for many folks who don't have that information available. We all can't know everything without asking sometimes. Every day is a learning experience in my opinion. That's what keeps most of us going at the pace we keep most days.

4grooveriflingprofilekr.jpg

The grooves in a rifle barrel are put there by several different but related process.

Most rifling is created by either:

Cutting one groove at a time with a machine tool, called cut rifling or single point cut rifling

Cutting all grooves in one pass with a special progressive broaching bit, called broached rifling

Pressing all grooves at once with a by a tool called a "button" that is pushed or pulled down the barrel, called button rifling

Forging the barrel over a mandrel containing a reverse image of the rifling (and often the chamber as well), called hammer forged

All of these process are one shot deals and can't be added to because material is either removed or compressed into another shape.

The exceptions is a re-bore which allows us to take an existing barrel and remove the existing rifling then re-rifle that bore up to a new but LARGER caliber.

Best.