In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45LC 250 gr LRNFP

hawkflyerhawkflyer Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
I have a surplus of 45LC 250 gr LRNFP's and a surplus of IMR-4227 and Wichester WST powders. I know that the WST works great in the ACP but cant find any data for the LC. Any good data out there for either of these powders? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I recommend the Hank Williams Jr load, as related by Mike Venturino?

Any 250-260 gr cast bullet
    Firm crimp
    21.0 4227 (either flavor)
    WW or RP brass
    Magnum primer.

You'll get 1,000 fps even from barrels as short as 4 5/8" and very good accuracy. You may see a few unburnt kernels left behind, but ignore them. An all-time great load safe even in Colt SAAs.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee Precision Data

250 Lead IMR IMR-4227 17.7
    FPS 890
    Remarks: never exceed; min. OAL: 1.600; 14,000 cup
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee data is, of course, not tested by Lee. It is merely copied from somewhere else, and I cannot find a source that agrees with those numbers anywhere.

Lyman (which IS lab-tested) shows up to 20.3 grains under a 250 jacketed bullet as being safe even in Colt SAA revolvers. They show loads up to 24 grains in the Ruger-Only section. As cast bullets develop less friction and less pressure than jacketed, my suggested load of 21.0 under a cast bullet is just fine. Cutting that to 20 grains would be prudent if you have any doubts.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.