In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30 Carbine LC52 Berdan priming

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
Going through a batch of brass, I found this headstamp is Berdan. Anyone know the story behind this?

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help you with that, but I found two pieces of berdan primed 5.56mm NATO brass today in a pile that a friend of mine gave me.

I had no idea there was such an animal.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    IIRC it is not really lake city, it's... Chinese I think? Also corrosive. Edit: Google is your friend here... it is Chinese, corrosive.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've loaded bunches of Lake City 30 carbine brass. Never found any berdan primed. You must have found some forign pieces.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1000rds of that ammo. It comes packed in gray cardboard 50 rd boxes with several of those packed together in heavy white wax treated paper.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So is it Chinese? Made at the direction of their version of the CIa to leave at the scene of a massacre and blame it on the US?
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Close. Made by chicoms to supply their marxist insurgents in places like S. Phillipines (where US arms common), while retaining deniability.

They made steel-case copper-washed berdan-primed 7.62 NATO w/ fake british Radway Green markings for use in Malasia.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, also, there is at least one other kind of Berdan-primed .30 carbine - French military, for use in all the free carbines we gave them near end of WWII.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding any possible corrosive in the .30 carbine round, one of the primary specs when the carbine was adopted was that the ammunition HAD to be non-corrosive because the captive short-stroke piston could not be cleaned effectively in field use. I would recommend against using any of this if you have any.