In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mosin nagant conversion

wiley77wiley77 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have a barreled receiver from a mosin.I am interested in converting it to another caliber, any recommendations? I realize a mosin isn't a pretty gun, however it gives me a winter project as well as a piece that if I screw up I'm out a couple of dollars. I will be doing a lot of the work myself which is why I'm looking for advice.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a converted Mosin today and it was a very fine looking rifle, as long as the protuding magazine doesn't bother you. It had a dark walnut stock with fine line checkering, a German style spoon-handle flat bolt handle, Wiliams peep sight mounted on the cocking piece, a ramp front sight and a nice blue job. It was a very attractive big game rifle. My point is that it is possible to achieve this without rebarreling it. Whatever cartridge you choose (.303 British, 30-40 Krag, a rimmed Mauser, etc.), it must be able to feed and chamber properly and that is the first consideration - what other cartridge will function thru that action. I would recommend a serious cost study to convert any military rifle before proceding.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one a couple of years ago that had been converted to 45-70. The rim diameter of the 7.62x54R is 14.4mm (.567"); the 45-70 is 15.4mm (.608"), not too much difference.

Alas, I never saw it in action nor fired, so I can't vouch for the usefulness of that conversion. And you'd have to do your due diligence about pressures, etc.

But if it's a viable conversion, you would be creating a bolt-action 45-70 in the tradition of all those converted Siamese Mauser and Lee-Enfield.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The main issue with the 45-70 will be magazine fit.

I'd personally love one in 30/40 or .303.