In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50 AE problems

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
I picked up a DE .50 AE here a couple months ago and it is awesome. It came with a bunch of factory ammo but I still wanted to load for it due to cost.

I loaded a bunch of Berry's 300gr plated HP bullets using a listed load of 32.6gr H110. I ran 50 rounds of this though my gun and it cycled fine.

I sent the gun off to the factory to have a muzzle break added, http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=DEPMB50 It says it adds 7oz of weight. It does a great job of reducing the muzzle rise and kick.

Now the problem is I can not get it to cycle with my hand loads. I fired 3 factory 350gr rounds and they all cycled. Rounds will feed well hand cycled but when shooting they end up at an upward angle.

I have checked my OAL. I am up to 34.2gr of H110. I also tried 1680 at .2 gr over max load. I considered loading up more but that is a full case. I also tried 2400 at 1gr over max. All had the same results. All had less felt recoil then the factory loads. I am not sure where to go from here. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try chronographing the factory and matching it.
    www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=50%20AE&
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Yeah think I will try that next time too.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I had a DE in 50 AE, I loaded 29.5grs of H110 under a 325gr Speer HP with great results in function and accuracy. I didn't have the muzzel brake on mine.
    W.D.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    any semi auto pistol has to have the proper amount of recoil to function. Think of it this way if you held a pistol by a string in the front and a string in the rear remotely pulled the trigger the gun would go off but slide would not fully cycle.Same thing with the brake. the pistol does not fully cycle with your loads But does with factory . Tells me your loads are not as hot as factory loads. Sort of like having two different shooters one has 100 % function because his grip and arm is firm and second shooter limp wrist the pistol and has malfunctions.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    After rereading your question, and the other answers you got I think your problem is bullet weight. As I stated in my first post, my DE functioned perfectly with 29.5 grs. of H110 and a 325gr bullet, you loaded 34.5 grs. H110 under a 300gr bullet and are having problems. Bullet weight = recoil, and as Karl said, your not getting enough recoil. Load some 325 or 350 gr. bullets by the book and see what happens. I think you'll have positive results.
    W.D.