In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Breaking down old loads- Updated!

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I have been given about 100 or so loaded .30/06 cartridges, some labeled reloads and some M2 .30 cal Ball, Lake City.

I used my seater die to push them in the case a tad to break the seal, then used my RockChucker and RCBS puller to grab on to the bullet.

No matter how hard I push, smack, jam the lever, it's a no go and the bullet slips from the puller die.

I would like to reuse the cases, but I am at a loss.

Suggestions?

Comments

  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are playing with loaded ammo. I would have shot them, then prepared the crimped in primer holes, etc.

    Kinetic type bullet puller such as RCBS or Hornady, but still dangerous, even wearing a welding helmet, then you have live crimped in primers to deal with.

    I would have thought about borrowing ole bro in law's o6 and shot em out, but too late now with the bullet down inside due to increased pressures, etc.

    You might want to give them a toss and invest few dollars in new hulls before taking the chance of life, limb, eyes, etc.[B)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are above the bearing surface on the bullet, and trying to grab a taper. Use a kinetic puller and they will pop right out.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You are above the bearing surface on the bullet, and trying to grab a taper. Use a kinetic puller and they will pop right out.



    Believe me, I tried that first!

    I have several hundred new cases.
    I'm just trying to make use of 'em, I guess.

    I'm not willing to shoot the reloads just to get the cases. I'm sure their fine, but.....they were loaded in the 70's by a friends father.

    I'm thinking about soaking them in Kroil for a few days, clean them, then try the RCBS setup again.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As BP says you are on the taper part! Soak them, then use the kinetic (RCBS and Hornady have lifetime warrenty on their kinetics) to bring them out so as the RCBS will get onto the straight side of the bullet, use two wrenchs so as the compression RCBS puller is real tight on the bullet and it will pull. The RCBS will actually distort the bullet when you use two wrenchs One for back-up and you can feel the proper torque when it's tight vs just using one wrench which only get it snug.

    Stay safe because soaking may not drown all.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would NOT SHOOT THEM!!!! You don't know how much powder is in them, or the state of the primers, or etc. etc. You don't even know for sure the state of the brass after 40 years. You could damage your gun, or worse, injure yourself.

    Like many have stated, try a kinetic puller, bang a little harder. But if they don't come out after a while, I concur, dump them. It's not worth a serious injury. These are, after all, rifle rounds, not small .22 shells.

    Be careful.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update:

    After wiping the Kroil around the bullet to soak into the case neck, I let them sit overnight.

    Since I only pushed the bullets a few thousands into the neck, I had plenty to grab on to.

    The RCBS puller worked this time as the Kroil loosened up the bullet. They popped right out.

    I will fire the rifle to kill the primer tomorrow and clean and check the cases.

    I appreciate all the kind responses!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you clean the rifle afterwards. Primer residue is nasty stuff and when fired alone, it is not blown out or diluted by powder gasses.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Make sure you clean the rifle afterwards. Primer residue is nasty stuff and when fired alone, it is not blown out or diluted by powder gasses.



    I will do that Rocky.

    BTW- I have been following your site and have had a blast shooting the plinker loads in the .30/30 and now loading for the .30/06.
    [8D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just de-cap the primers, no sense in blasting corrosive salts into your bore. Wear safety glasses and be mindful that one may pop in the die. It will BY-GOLLY-GUARANTEED scare the crap out of you but will hurt nothing. I de-capped THOUSANDS of 30-06 cases with corrosive primers in them and two went pop. THe slower you ease the ram down the less likely they are to pop.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember to wear safety glasses.............as well as a second pair of underwear just in case[;)]quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Just de-cap the primers, no sense in blasting corrosive salts into your bore. Wear safety glasses and be mindful that one may pop in the die. It will BY-GOLLY-GUARANTEED scare the crap out of you but will hurt nothing. I de-capped THOUSANDS of 30-06 cases with corrosive primers in them and two went pop. THe slower you ease the ram down the less likely they are to pop.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Remember to wear safety glasses.............as well as a second pair of underwear just in case[;)]quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Just de-cap the primers, no sense in blasting corrosive salts into your bore. Wear safety glasses and be mindful that one may pop in the die. It will BY-GOLLY-GUARANTEED scare the crap out of you but will hurt nothing. I de-capped THOUSANDS of 30-06 cases with corrosive primers in them and two went pop. THe slower you ease the ram down the less likely they are to pop.



    few pairs of DEPENDS will help save your underwear when the primers pop!

    I sonmetimes use a kinetic puller with a couple of foam ear plugs in the bottom of the puller tube to keep from distoring the tip of the bullet when it comes loose if I want to save the bullets for reloading.

    The crimp type RCBS bullet puller will usually severly distort sides of a pulled bullet and render them not desirable for reloading unless you are using ole bro in laws gun.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this for 100 '06 cases? There must be millions of them waiting to be reloaded out there, save the effort and get empty cases (either new or once fired). You'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    All this for 100 '06 cases? There must be millions of them waiting to be reloaded out there, save the effort and get empty cases (either new or once fired). You'll be glad you did.


    Right about the above post and I would also keep a heads up that some of the Lake City 06 brass is very thick and heavy, so keep a heads up and reduce the reload powder charge accordingly. (pressure can be higher with same amount of powder as compared to cases that weigh less grains) You can confirm such by comparing the weight of the Lake City brass vs rem, win, fed, etc, or compare the amount of water volume of the cases) I've seen some 06 Lake City hulls that would weigh 30-40 grains more than standard manu brass)
    If not aware of such, I've seen some very bad groups come out of a normally accurate 06 due to Lake City brass mixed with standard brass and using the same powder load![:0]
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    I have been given about 100 or so loaded .30/06 cartridges, some labeled reloads and some M2 .30 cal Ball, Lake City.

    I used my seater die to push them in the case a tad to break the seal, then used my RockChucker and RCBS puller to grab on to the bullet.

    No matter how hard I push, smack, jam the lever, it's a no go and the bullet slips from the puller die.

    I would like to reuse the cases, but I am at a loss.

    Suggestions?


    I always use a kinetic puller since it doesn't damage the bullet.
    I see no issue with doing that with loaded rounds since there is nothing around the primer and ammo is subjected to much rougher handling during transport

    BTW I use an RCBS puller with anything smaller than 50BMG
    My family has storage units and there are usually ammo in the the ones they clean out. and I typically braeak them down and use what I can and clean, sell the components I can't use. THe powder makes a helluva fire starter mixed with wax and lint
Sign In or Register to comment.