In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Difference in Dies?????

tacomasr5tacomasr5 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
Can someone tell me the difference in a small base die and a full length die??
I would like to get involved in re-loading .243 Win, and I am trying to learn as much as possible before I start.

Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance on the subject, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A small base will squeeze down the base a little more than a full length one will. These are mainly used for resizing brass fired in a machine gun or semi auto with sloppy chamber. For a .243 I'd imagine neither would apply and would just get the standard ones; or neck dies if you are only loading for one gun.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    "For a .243 I'd imagine neither would apply"..........unless you are loading for a auto or pump rifle, or have brass fired in one
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee does not make small base dies. RCBS does> quote:Q. I see a Small Base Die Set listed for my caliber. Do I need these or should I buy a Full Length Die Set or Neck Die Set? How does each set differ?

A. The Small Base Die set is intended for use for ammunition to be used in auto, semi-auto, and lever action rifles so that the loaded round chambers and extracts easily. The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die. In certain calibers it also sets the shoulder of the case back a thousandth or two more than the Full Length Sizer Die. The Full Length Die Set or Neck Die Set is not normally recommended for ammo to be used in auto, semi-auto, or lever action rifles. The Full Length Die set is recommended for ammunition used in bolt action rifles, particularly for ammunition to be used for hunting. The Neck Die Set can also be used to produce ammunition for use in bolt action rifles. The Neck Sizer Die sizes only the neck of the case so it will hold the bullet firmly. It does not size the body of the case nor does it set the shoulder back. Neck sized cases will usually chamber for three or more firings, depending on the powder charge and chamber dimensions. However, over a period of time, a slight drag will be noticed when the bolt is locked. At this point, cases will need to be full length sized and the shoulder set back so they will chamber and extract easily.
    http://www.rcbs.com/guide/#faq
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your .243 is a Bolt action , you have no need for smallbase dies . However you might want a neck sizer die to prolong case life and maybe enhance accuracy a tad !
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "For a .243 I'd imagine neither would apply"..........unless you are loading for a auto or pump rifle, or have brass fired in one
    I reload a lot for semi autos and have never needed a small base die unless the brass originally came from a machine gun. It would have to be a pretty sloppy chamber for this to apply. JMHO.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tacomasr5,

As most of the posters noted above you won't need a small base die unless your standard full length die isn't sizing down the base enough to get your brass to fit your rifle. Thus the 'small base' title it's given.

Small base dies are full length dies.

This is opposed to neck sizing dies which don't touch the body of the case, but do size down just the neck. Of these there are generally two types, standard and bushing. A standard die is one size and that's it. A bushing die can have the bushing changed to control the size of the neck.
    The benefit of these is the case body remains the size of your chamber through a number of firings. About every 4-5 firings in a regular chamber you will have to full length the cases.

-hope that helps
  • Options
    tacomasr5tacomasr5 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guy's, I appreciate the info
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    tacomasr5,

As most of the posters noted above you won't need a small base die unless your standard full length die is sizing down the base enough to get your brass to fit your rifle. Thus the 'small base' title it's given.

This is opposed to neck sizing dies which don't touch the body of the case, but do size down just the neck. Of these there are generally two types, standard and bushing. A standard die is one size and that's it. A bushing die can have the bushing changed to control the size of the neck.
    The benefit of these is the case body remains the size of your chamber through a number of firings. About every 4-5 firings in a regular chamber you will have to full length the cases.

-hope that helps

Sand--i have read and reread your post and must ask did you mean to use the word "isn't" between "standard full length die---is---sizing down the base enough" or is there something I'm missing.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, we have two Savage 110 in 243 that require the use of a small base sizing die for brass previously fired in a different rifle. There are several other brand 243 here that don't need the SB so handloads for the Savages must be segregated or all brass has to go through the SB die. When the kids were using all 243 rifles, I loaded one specific bullet in the ammo for those two Savages so they didn't end up in the deer stand with ammo that wouldn't chamber.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    tacomasr5,

As most of the posters noted above you won't need a small base die unless your standard full length die is sizing down the base enough to get your brass to fit your rifle. Thus the 'small base' title it's given.

-hope that helps

Sand--i have read and reread your post and must ask did you mean to use the word "isn't" between "standard full length die---is---sizing down the base enough" or is there something I'm missing.

You are correct sir! I just now saw that myself this fine, fine sunny Tuesday afternoon. It is now corrected.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tacomasr5,

If you work at TACOM please email me. It's where I work.

Jim