In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

F Class Open Long Range

brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
I'm going to start this (1000 yards). I'm leaning to the Savage Long Range Hunter with 26" barrel in Remington 260. I reload.

It this a good choice? I only have one other bolt rifle (1952 Model 70 in 270) so I need your advise on this rifle purchase. Help!

Comments

• Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brotus2
    I'm going to start this (1000 yards). I'm leaning to the Savage Long Range Hunter with 26" barrel in Remington 260. I reload.

It this a good choice? I only have one other bolt rifle (1952 Model 70 in 270) so I need your advise on this rifle purchase. Help!

That is an excellent choice. For some reason or another that's the only heavy barreled rifle you can get from Savage in .260 Rem. They have the F-class itself in 6.5-.284 but that tends to be a barrel burner in the 6.5 caliber. Unless you download it to near .260 Rem velocities.

Now, with the money you saved buying a very accurate off the shelf Savage, you can now go and buy some really nice glass.[;)]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 8.5 lbs bare, I'd be looking for some hollows in the stock to put lead in. A .260 is pretty mild, but recoil over a three-match day will get old.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brotus2,

Please check you e-mail for some information I sent to you.

The .260 Remington is a fine, proven cartridge for 1,000 yard target shooting. But then again, so are the 6mmBR, 6BRX and the 6mm Dasher at just a little more than 1/2 case capacity of the .260 Rem. The national and international records are falling to these smaller cartridges. In essence, it doesn't take a .338 Lapua to get to 1,000 yards or beyond...

The Savage rifles get a lot of press and discussion in forums all over the internet so the choice is a sound one for entry level attempts at 1,000 yards. This will depend on the glass and your ability also, of course. I have other solutions to this type of shooting but they cost a little more in the short run than a Savage...

If you find that you're liking this style of shooting and maybe want to try some competition, you will likely start examining other alternatives for a rifle.

Best.