In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice on bow purchase

Weeks ManWeeks Man Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Hello everyone. It's been quite some time since I have posted on GB, and have never posted in this forum. However, given everyone's vast expertise, I felt compelled to start here with advice.

Basically, I have decided to once again pursue bowhunting. I use to bowhunt in my younger years (high school / college) but have never had the priveledge of taking a deer with a bow. It's been at least 15 years since I have shot a bow, and sold all of my equipment about 9 years ago when I just wasn't hunting much. Recently, all of my opportunities to rifle hunt seem to be dwindling down; however, bowhunting is becoming an even bigger option, especially locally around where I live.

So, here is my question... "What bow should I buy?" O.K. let me be a little more specific, "What's the most economical, quality bow I should consider?" Obviously, there is a lot out there and I certainly don't want to go overboard. I am budgeting somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 (plus or minus $100) for a bow, quiver, rest, sights, release and arrows. Obviously I would love to have the smoothest, fastest, quietest bow out there, but I would also love to buy a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. So, any recommnedations? So far I have looked at the Diamond brand bows by Bowtech, specifically The Rock. Bass Pro is selling the complete set up minus the arrows and release for $499. My local bow shop recommended the PSE Rogue X. I can have that completely set up with 4 carbon arrows, minus the rest for $539. Anyone have any experience with either of these two bows? Can anyone tell me what the most important things to consider in purchasing a bow would be?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long message.

Thanks!

Comments

• ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    both diamond and pse puts out some decent bows. i would shoot both and see which one feels the best to you. others may be able to tell you of more or better bows for your price range and don't overlook a good used bow
  • huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weeks,

I own a Parker. They are easy on the wallet and great to shoot. The packages come with everything you need and they are sighted in at the factory. You can get a great Parker for under $500.

However, I upgrade every three years. I just shot a Bowtech Guardian at my local shop and I am sold. It is the quietest bow I've ever shot. Little more money, but before my next hunting trip, I'm going to pick one up.

Find a good honest local shop that will spend the time answering your questions. Try to buy from the little guy before heading to Bass Pro. They will always be there for ya.

Sal
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the Mission bows. I picked up an X3 for my wife for just over 600 with a top end sight, peep, drop away rest, case, stabilizer, arrows, and a few other incidentals. This is about 4 year old Mathews technology which 4 years ago would have been an $800 bow. If I did not have the bow I have now, it would be a Mission.

The Diamond bows are good. I have no expierence with PSE, so I can not comment other than they are a big name in archery, but not top 3. My friend sells Alpine bows. I shot his Wednesday and liked it.... click on the huntHD link in my sig line to see what he has.

In your shoes I would go to several different shops and shoot as many different bows as you can. Make your choice from your preference. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Archery is an addiction.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:In your shoes I would go to several different shops and shoot as many different bows as you can. Make your choice from your preference. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Archery is an addiction.

x2, you need to test out several to find what feels best and fits you best. With your price range there are several out there for you. Keep us posted on what you decide.
  • bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Weeks Man,
    IMO for the money you want to spend I would go to a couple pro shops and look at used bows. For the money your willing to spend you can buy bows all set up that were the top of the line in the last year or two. The only thing you are going to get brand new is a few more feet per second. The other benny's you will be getting going new are ones that you are not really going to notice for the fact that you been away from it for awhile. So go look around and shoot a few different makes and find one that works for you and go from there. Most of the shops right now want to move there used bows ASAP now that the rush is over. Right now it is arrows, broad heads,scents & other accessories that they are selling. so they want to move there inventory of bows out to get ready for the new lines coming out at the big archery show around the new year.
    Good luck with your venture and let us know how you make out.
    Bigfoot [8D]
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back to the fold. I've bowhunted for 30 year and the only new bows I have purchased have been for my sons. Yet I have always killed deer and won a few 3d shoots along the way, and I seldom shoot any competition, mostly just tag along with my brother in law occasionaly. My last purchase was a mathews FX completly set up for $350 several years ago, at the time the bow alone was about $600. I'm not that big on any particular brand, the bow fit me, was in good shape, and I felt a good buy for the money. Buying bows is like buying cars, let someone else pay for the new car smell.

For $600, with some shopping, you can set yourself up with a bow and a climbing stand. With some real bargians you may get a set of camo and a pair of boots, but that is asking a lot. LOL What ever you but make sure it fits you!

Again, what ever you do, welcome back and I hope you have fun.

Scout

Scout
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    My huntin' buddy just purchased a new bow finally, this year after years of using a pile of crap. He spent almost 600 at Cabelas.[:0] For the exact same setup on ebay selling for 389.00 I haven't otld him about his bow setup on ebay. I told him to go there first and he didn't listen, but I don't want him to know how bad they ripped him. It's a Bear lights out, 30" axle to axle, very forgiving and fast.
    But here's a used one, exact same setup as the others (must be a factory package). The only issue I have is with the stabilizer. It is too small/too light so the bow tilts backwards after the shot. He did change that out on his. Good luck. P.S. Thought I should check to see if there were any of these on GB (after thought) and there weren't any.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bear-Archery-Lights-Out-Compound-Bow-Package_W0QQitemZ280279268256QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R40&dfsp=1&satitle=bear+lights+out&sacat=-1&catref=C6&sargn=-1&saslc=2&sadis=200&fpos=80751&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I like PSE, and being that you're just getting back into the sport, you should buy off of a local guy so that you wil have the product support close to home.

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:at the big archery show around the new year.

In case you were wondering the ASA in Indy is around Jan. 10th,11th.
  • Weeks ManWeeks Man Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback, and keep it coming too if you don't mind.

I have visited several local pro shops this week and late last week. I have had the opportunity to shoot several bows, both expensive and less expensive. I have another shop that I visited early last week that I want to go back to. He has an Bowtech Guardian (new) that I think is an '07 that he is selling for $439 for the naked bow. I plan on shooting it before I make my final decision.

I am also considering a Reflex Growler which is made by Hoyt. Also a Bowtech Exacalibur that a local shop has on sale (2007 model), one of the Diamond models, "The Rock," and then of course the Bowtech Guardian after I shoot it.

I have learned a heck of a lot. My draw length is 26.5 inches so finding something that meets my draw length has been a little more difficult. However, everyone, especially at the local shops have been doing their best to fit me with the right bow, not necessarily sell me the most expensive bow, which I greatly appreciate.

I will keep everyone posted on my purchase. Now it's just down to narrowing down my options.

Thanks for the advice on ebay also, I will look there too, especially for accessories once I make my purchase.

Thanks!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    26.5 I would look a used mathews MQ-32 great little bow wish I still had mine..
    edited November -1
    You've got some nice choices there. Don't think you'll be disappointed with what ever you choose.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    buckboy. that's what I shoot. DOubt I'll ever have need of another bow. That little Bear lights out I was talking about is even smaller than my MQ-32! And I think the draw length on it has quite a range of adjustability as the advertisements state. For my mq, it's string length that determines draw length. I wonder how they can adjust the draw length without changing the string, and still keep the same performance?