In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

i want to move out of compund bows

Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
and into recurve. a decent shooter want a 60# draw and about 200-300 price[?]

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one of these a few years back. Really nice bow and I really like the takedown design. I haven't got a chance to take it hunting yet though. Haven't gotten back into the area in which I feel comfortable in hunting with a recurve yet.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat600272_TGP&id=0004395415233a&navCount=2&podId=0004395&parentId=cat600272&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600272&hasJS=true

Jon
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a PSE Talon 50# almost new at a gun show for $60. Some of the older Bear bows are in your price range. Do a little looking, you'll find a deal. I was told not to go under 60 inches in length on a recurve, and make sure you spine your arrows correctly.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    After shooting my daughters, I'd be interested in some of the responses also. I'd like to have one just for the fun of it. I felt like a real Indian. [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks. i would like to try and find a gun show that also dabbles in archery. good place to get a deal on used anyway.

i like the simplicity and the shoot from feeling not through sights[^]
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a recurve collector, and have about 75 bows. Let me state a few observations and some advice.

1. Be aware that compounds and recurves are different critters. Bear archery made millions of recurves, and 75% were 45# bows. You have to get out of the speedbow mentality, and practice a LOT to get accurate enough to kill a deer.

2. Your draw length will be a little shorter on a recurve and you will want to pull less weight. It is VERY UNLIKELY that you will want to start out with a 60# recurve. Start out with a 45# bow (or less). Learn to shoot! Shoot with others, buy the Byron Ferguson video or any trad video you can. Shooting traditional is hard and does take a lot of practice!

3. Taller folks such as those over 6' tall generally have a longer draw and prefer 62-64" hunting bows. While shorter people prefer 58" to 60". This is in general. It is ideal to shoot before you buy if you can.

4. New bows lose their value quick. For newbies, I'd recommend getting a bow off of ebay or tradgang used. A good all around choice is a 62" Damon Howatt Hunter. Now called Martin Hunters.

5. Any questions please feel free to email me or go on the tradgang website for advice.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    I have always used recurves. I have bought very good compounds and wound up giving them away. My favorite recurve is a Bear Grizzly that I bought the day I met and spent about an hour personally with Fred Bear in his Motel room in Grayling Michigan. He autographed a Fred Bear book for me but I forgot to have him autograph the bow. I broke my shoulder about 2 years ago flipping a 4-wheeler and can't shoot the bow anymore but it is very sentimental to me. I use a crossbow now and cock it with a compound pulley system.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what arrows and weight length would be suitable for 45# 60"
  • Options
    voodoofire1voodoofire1 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dakota, lots of variables in there but for a ballpark..gold tip 35-55 with 125gr. up front, they will shoot decent out of about anything, but for a more detailed answer we need your draw length, bow weight at that length, bow design.. and any other info you'd care to share... I make T/D hybrid longbows, and many think stickbows are all the same.... far from it....archerytalk.com is a good site for getting started as well as the stickbow.com site......Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How ya making out with your recurve bow?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horney toad
    How ya making out with your recurve bow?

im like'n it more everytime i go a shoot it[^][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good to hear it! It is addicting. [:)]