In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone Know About This Bow?

chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Hello all,

A friend is looking for information on a bow his father gave him. It was bought used in 1970. It's a Damon Howatt, Badito 50 pound recurve.

I've been shooting bows since the late 60's, but I just don't remember the bow at all. Can anyone tell him something about the bow? He loves to shoot it, but I think he's a little worried it'll fail and he'll have wrecked something important.

Besides the first bow given to him by his dad!

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

chiger,

Comments

• Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link that will give you a little background Howatt and his bows produced through Martin. I know that at some point howatt was bought out by Martin Archery, but I am not too sure whan that occurred. I am not sure if the Bandito was one made by only howatt or if that was a martin product with howatt's name.
    I am not at all sure about parts. I would get it to a good shop and have them give it a nice once over to be sure you are good to shoot and then let em fly.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/mag/iadamon.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey, thanks a lot T.

That's an interesting article. I've just emailed the link to my friend. Maybe he can find something in it, like that maker who was there in the 60's, that will get him the skinny on the bow.

He actually just sent me the serial number. It's hand written by the bowyer. HTw 1629 if anyone knows the Howatt numbering system.

He's shot the bow a lot over the years, but he's just getting re-energized about shooting again after his local range closed several years ago. Apparently maturity has peaked his interest in history as well. ;~)

Thanks again T. Maybe we'll get lucky.

chiger,
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Joel at Martin archery may be some help. Let me know if you want his number.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey, thanks for the offer Bang.

It turns out that he is a member of another bow forum and posted hunting for help too. Guess who contacted him? Larry Hatfield! The guy who was there when the bow was made. He's corresponded with him a couple times and given him the lowdown on the bow.

I thought that was pretty cool of Mr. Hatfield. Offered advice on setups and all kind of stuff. My friend is tickled to death.

Thanks again for the offer Bang. It's good to know we have members with access to those kinds of resources avalible on the forum here too.

chiger,
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=14

The tradgang website is a good source of info as well.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    No problem, Joel is an outstanding guy who will help anyone in anyway he can. He's even more help if it has to do with Martin. [:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep,

Think the TradGang site is where he ran into Mr. Hatfield.

Thanks Horny. I'm lurking around over there too now.

And Bang, I think I can kind of understand his excitement over Martin. I may be shooting one before too long. May need to take you up on that. ;~)

chiger,