In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Buck with a Bow

FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I shot this Buck on 11/14 in Northern Missouri. It was about 20 mins before dark and he came out with a doe. He stayed out in the field in front of me for about 35-40 mins at about 150 yards...I was about to go insane but the doe finally came to her senses and came by my stand, and the Buck followed. It was a 35 yard shot behind the right front leg. Got the right lung, clipped the heart and barely got the left lung. He ran back in the woods and out of sight, so I decided to let him sit overnight. I came back the next morning to find him only 40 yards from where I shot him! He looked like he had bedded down, so I'm glad I didn't jump him the night before. The meat was ruined, unfortunately but I feel I did the right thing.
Anyway, I had to hurry and take him to the taxidermist to get my place in line early, so I didn't score him yet. The taxidermist said upper 150's. Let me know what you think. Regardless, it's the biggest deer I've killed to date!

Deer-03.jpg

ATT00018.jpg

Deer-01.jpg

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice buck. Too bad the meat was no good. Was the temp too high overnight?
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the meat. Didn't know it was that warm down there. congrats on the deer, definitely a good one.
  • FANNINFANNIN Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The temp was 36 that night, but when I took it to the processor they caped it and told me the meat was bad....I wasn't going to question them. I guess the insides didn't cool down enough.
  • pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is too bad about the meat. A very nice buck indeed. I am not trying to downgrade the animal in any way, but I don't think it is an upper 150 class animal. Too many deductions. I have one from 4 years ago that looks to mirror yours, minus the extra tine at the G3-G4 point and the tines are within 1/8 of each other and it didn't break 130. It is the rack on the left naturally.
    sheds002.jpg

I can't tell from the picture exactly, but it looks to be a common based point in the G3/G4, therefore a major deduction in the typical class. For an 8pt typical to score in the high 150's it takes some serious tine length, main beam length, and huge circumference's. Again, this is an exceptional buck and would not have walked past me either... Great job.
  • joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    what a waste. id rather have spooked him off and never found him then know the meat was ruined and the buck was killed for nothing. im not against mounts or anything just not for me. dont see the point of it other then bragging rights.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    what a waste. id rather have spooked him off and never found him then know the meat was ruined and the buck was killed for nothing. im not against mounts or anything just not for me. dont see the point of it other then bragging rights.

I'd take a wild stab here and guess that he didnt shoot it for the rack/mount alone...I'd also venture to say that most/not all of bow hunters have hit an animal and waited until the next day to recover it due to the tough tracking conditions in the dark/rain etc...and/or the lack of blood. It is sad that the meat was lost but atleast the animal died quickly and was harvested/recovered by a hunter,and not by an automobile or coyote's...Not a waste to me.
    just my 2 cents....

Good job Fannin, Hang that mount and be proud of it[8D]
    edited November -1
    I think your taxidermist could use a lesson or 2 in guessing score. This buck went 148 1/8 as scored by someone who works at P&Y club in Chatfield, MN.

TIM2.jpg

I'm not trying to take away from your rack at all. It is a great buck! My best was just over 130,
    IMG_1052.jpg
    and I bet yours is in the mid 140's. Your mass is a little better, and the tine length is better.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Wow ive been bow hunting for years and never killed one with a rack that big.
    thats your first bow kill FANTASTIC! COULDENT BE HAPPIER FOR YOU GREAT JOB.[;)] I doubt the meat was bad overnight. thing ya got duped there.. any way Congrads on a fantastic buck.[:)][:p]
    edited November -1
    Well, I am certainly not offended by everyone who is commenting on the score of the deer. The reason I asked for everyones opinion was because of my own questioning. I am heading back up to the area at the end of the month, and I will try to see if the taxidermist will let me score it then, if I don't get in his way. I originally thought that it would score in the upper 130's, but since I've never killed anything that big, I wasn't sure. The meat was a bit surprising to me as well, but when I recovered him, and started gutting him, it DID smell a little rank.
    As far as leaving him overnight, I still feel like it was the right thing to do. As I said earlier, when I found the deer, he was in a bedded down position, so that tells me he didn't just fall over dead, and if I would've tracked him that night, I feel pretty certain, I would've jumped him. (I did that to the very first deer I shot, and had to track him for over 1 1/4 miles..)

By the way Dsco....nice deer you got there!

Hopefully, I will get a good score at the end of the month and post for everyone...but keep posting what you think it would score, I am curious what everyone thinks!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FANNIN

By the way Dsco....nice deer you got there!

I wish I could take credit for the first one! That is my friend's buck.

You did the right thing by letting him sit. When in doubt, back out. Maybe you could have done a late night recovery well after dark. My friend's buck above was left overnight because he was not sure of the hit. Turns out better that way everytime. I have even left a doe I shot with the rifle because I didn't find blood. Turns out I was only 10 feet from her, but didn't see she went right down and fell behind a log.

Again a great buck!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice first buck!

Have to agree with buckey on the meat. They stink with the entrails left overnight, but the meat should have been fine.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stubnoid
    Nice first buck!

Have to agree with buckey on the meat. They stink with the entrails left overnight, but the meat should have been fine.

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I've never left one overnight so I can't have experience talk for me. Did the processor "dispose" of the rest for you?
    The one I shot this year and one of my buddys was boned and left in a cooler with ice on it overnight. The meat had different color than you'd see if left to hang skinned in 30-40 degree weather but still tastes good. Anyway, still a dang nice buck.
    I'd say gross late 130's mid 140's. The extra tine will kill ya on net. BTW, nice acorn tip.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great looking buck..Congrats
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice lookin buck there, Fannin, but if it was 36 degrees overnight you could have ate the meat. I gut shot a deer last week when my arrow deflected. I knew it was gut shot because the blood had particles in it. So i gave up the search till next morning. It was about the same temp you're talking about. Found it about 10 a.m. the next morning. A well centered hole in the side was bubbling stinky green stuff. That didn't worry me, guts always stink. The meat was fresh, because it was still warm inside when i gutted it and steam rolled off of it. I took it home and hozed the body cavity. Hung it, skinned it and cut off the shoulders, hams, and backstrap and put that meat in an ice chest with salt, ice, and about a half cup of Clorox bleach. Changed the water several times and kept it on ice a few days, then i butchered it out and made some jerky out of most of it. I'm eating some now, very tasty.

Congratulations on that great rack. I only got a 3 point but it's good for stirring gravy.

Joe
    edited November -1
    Bleach huh? That's new to me. I appreciate the info. I will put it to good use in the future.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FANNIN
    Bleach huh? That's new to me. I appreciate the info. I will put it to good use in the future.

I'm with ya here, I've never heard of bleachin meat? Whats it do?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982

I don't see the point in jumpin it and not taggin it just so you can shoot another. Not very good hunting ethics. He did exactly what he needed to do.
  • StihlCuttinItStihlCuttinIt Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is to answer Bang's question about the bleach. I'm no expert on processing meat, it just makes sense to me that the bleach works like the chlorine in city water...it kills bacteria. There was lots of bacteria on my deer, because of the busted guts. I only used a half cup in the rinse water, then poured it off then soaked in plain ice water and salt. Even on good clean shots, i often take a half cup of Chlorox in a two gallon bucket of then dip it out with a big cup and splash it into the body cavity. Then rinse with clear water. It seems as though it should do the same thing for meat as it does for water, kills germs.

Joe
  • tcwildcat7mmtcwildcat7mm Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    U shoulda only used 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water. that is called sanitizer. More than that and you could have made urself very sick. washing it over and over was good but way too much bleach. ur still live so didn't hurt that much, but for future reference alil bit goes a long way. and as long as you get that meat over 175 degrees u should be fine, but some bacteria can live past that, and viruses that can be in the entrails, linings... but you could get that anyways without letting meat sit.
    And for those who don't like letting deer sit overnight, when you shoot a deer u do what u want with it. when i shoot a deer, I do what i want with it. If your way differs from mine, get over it and "mind yo business!" as they say in nawlins! if it ain't hurtin you, don't mess up and open yo mouth and make me do it! just kidding, but it's a deer. not a human! what about fish you hook and throw back? most of them die too! and the bait you use to catch them, they die in the bait bucket, no guilt there? they have people all over the world starving to death and somebody is gonna ridicule this guy for letting a deer sit overnight? gimme a break and wake up and get over yourself. cast the first stone ring a bell?
    I've been on this site 5 minutes and run onto this...again! from another so called hunter at that! EVERYWHERE u turn, passivists raise their heads and start spewing their venom criticizing others. he didn't ask your opinion on his hunt, he asked your opinion on the deer and the score. You have no idea what you would've done because you were not there!
    I gotta go relax, this is one reason I can't stand the internet. You get a group of like-minded people together and a passy has to come in and ruin it. Go on PETA site and make some friends there dude, Im so sick of people trying to tell others what they should or shouldn't do!
    sorry to rant, just ticked me off to see that on the 3rd post i look at on GUNBROKER!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tcwildcat7mm
    U shoulda only used 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water. that is called sanitizer. More than that and you could have made urself very sick. washing it over and over was good but way too much bleach. ur still live so didn't hurt that much, but for future reference alil bit goes a long way. and as long as you get that meat over 175 degrees u should be fine, but some bacteria can live past that, and viruses that can be in the entrails, linings... but you could get that anyways without letting meat sit.
    And for those who don't like letting deer sit overnight, when you shoot a deer u do what u want with it. when i shoot a deer, I do what i want with it. If your way differs from mine, get over it and "mind yo business!" as they say in nawlins! if it ain't hurtin you, don't mess up and open yo mouth and make me do it! just kidding, but it's a deer. not a human! what about fish you hook and throw back? most of them die too! and the bait you use to catch them, they die in the bait bucket, no guilt there? they have people all over the world starving to death and somebody is gonna ridicule this guy for letting a deer sit overnight? gimme a break and wake up and get over yourself. cast the first stone ring a bell?
    I've been on this site 5 minutes and run onto this...again! from another so called hunter at that! EVERYWHERE u turn, passivists raise their heads and start spewing their venom criticizing others. he didn't ask your opinion on his hunt, he asked your opinion on the deer and the score. You have no idea what you would've done because you were not there!
    I gotta go relax, this is one reason I can't stand the internet. You get a group of like-minded people together and a passy has to come in and ruin it. Go on PETA site and make some friends there dude, Im so sick of people trying to tell others what they should or shouldn't do!
    sorry to rant, just ticked me off to see that on the 3rd post i look at on GUNBROKER!!!!!!

please do go relax before coming back and posting stuff like this. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    FYI...I finally got a chance to score the deer. It gross scored 146 7/8". My taxidermist was a little off (he said 150-155). It netted around 138...but who needs net scores anyway. I hope to get the mount back around Feb or March.
    edited November -1
    congrats man! One to be proud of no matter the score!!!!
  • Nwatson99Nwatson99 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats Nice Deer