In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bowfishing

rboettcherrboettcher Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Havent bowfished for 40 years, but want to try it again. I have two Bear bows about 46 pount pull, Kodiak Magnum, what else do or should I get. I still got a couple of fishing arrows.

Comments

• rboettcherrboettcher Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone here bowfish? I have an old pse with a reel on it.

Shooting lots of carp. Wanting to get out in the flooded rivers. We get into the big buffalo and freshwater drum.

Good times.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone out there bowfish? I was looking at the set-ups at the local Bass Pro, and it looks kind of cool to try out. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Just wondering what some of your favorite rigs for bowfishing are
    edited November -1
    I'm going to give it a go. I tried it last weekend with my Mathews, and target arrows. I figured out that carbon arrows float, and it looked like fun, so I tried shootin some carp.

I know we've talked about this before, but does anyone else bowfish?

ben
    edited November -1
    Going to try it next week. Went bass fishing today and saw a ton of them.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I haven't gotten out to try bowfishin yet although I have been saying I'm going to for about 3 yrs now. What set up do you have?
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i always borrow a bow from a buddy of mine when we go. its a blast. i think he uses teh muzzy tips for the arrows. and a bottle reel
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.hunthd.com Jon carries lots of bowfishing stuff and would be a good person to ask questions. I'm sure he is still out bowhunting, but will get back to you when he has time.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I still use a fishing pole[:I]
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The equipment varies on what kind of bow fishing you are going to do. In my area we can go bow fishing for skates (stingray type fish) or carp. Generally what we do is take a tip you would use on the end of a cane or chair leg & drill a hole in the center of it. Then use a bolt that fits your stabilizer hole. Bolt the tip to the bow. Then we use a heinz ketchep bottle. It will fit tight into the cane tip & hold the bottle to the bow. We fill the bottle with spray foam insulation & tie about 30 feet of good wax coated string onto it. The other end we tie to a bow fishing arrow thats usually heavy fiberglass. We mostly use recurves since there is less junk the string can get hung up on. When you shoot a fish it just swims around for a few minutes & the bottle keeps it from going anywhere (ala the barrels in Jaws movie lol) Its a fun thing to do for something different. There are even guides here that will take you out bow fishing. I hope this wasnt too wordy its a hard thing to really describe. rg