In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice to a newbie

range duderange dude Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I am a traditional muzzleloader hunter that wants to expand to archery hunting. Totally clueless about what to start with. Go to the stores and I am overwhelmed by all the options. What would be a simple setup for a beginner (hunter) I am 6'2, 210 and fairly strong.

Comments

• Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, congrats on your decision to give the sport a try!
    You are right, there are a ton of options out there. My suggestion would be to set yourself a price range and then go and actually shoot some bows in that range at your local shop. Any shop worth their salt is going to allow you to shoot the bow before you commit to any purchase. Picking a bow is not about brand, name, weight, or anything of that sort. It is about finding a bow that you can shoot well and that you are going to be confident with. I have many friends that shoot Parker and love them, whereas I am a mathews shooter and wouldn't trade mine for the world.
    I started out with a Bear whitetail, drawing only 42 pounds as a 12 year old and was able to arrow a 7 point at 12 years from the ground. That started my lifelong obsession!
    Any of the bows you pick up are going to be capable of taking a deer at appropriate archery distances. I would suggest getting to the shop and giving some of them a try. Look for something that is comfortable for you to pull, is adjustable in weight, with your size the 60-70 pound bows are probably best, and shoots somewhere over 250 feet per second (which will be pretty much any bow in the 60+ pound range).

Once you have a brand and/or make in mind, there are plenty of very knowledgable and experienced archers here that can help you with the pros and cons to that particular bow.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    you are correct the options are overwhelming. My advise is to first see what fits your budget. With that being said I would go to a local bow shop in your area and shoot several bows that are in your price range. then pick the one that best suits your needs, With that being said. Dont settle for a bow on price if your not comfortable with it. it's well worth spending an extra hundred bucks to get a bow that will suit your needs and that will have for a few years. dot be compulsive take your time and make sure you will be happy with your purchase. feel free to post again if you have any questions..
    Hope this helps and welcome to the addiction..[;)]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Have you ever shot a bow before? Like said before, shoot alot and find one that is comfortable. But also, if you haven't shot alot, it would be in your best interest to get one with at least a 7" brace height in my opinion. If you haven't shot a lot a larger brace height will help in any form problems. As Buckey said ask any questions that you have and keep us posted.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I can't add much that hasn't been said, best is to go shoot several and pick what fits you and feels the best to you. Its all personal preference.

Welcome to the addiction, feel free to ask questions, and welcome to the mad house, feel free to make fun of taco413 [:D]
  • Options
    range duderange dude Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All,

Thanks for the advice. I will find myself an archery shop - not a big box store, and follow your advice.

Again, Thanks
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Chief's recommendation on the brace height issue. I would go larger then 7".

Since your new to bows, heres a picture of what the brace height is. Its the first illustration from the top.

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/basic1.htm

Why is this important in your bow looking hunt. Well, bows have gotten shorter in overall length, this is called ATA (axle to axle). When ATA gets shorter, generally the brace height is shorter. So you will probably be looking at bows in the 36" ATA range as good beginner hunting bows. This is a generalization, and not a true rule of thumb as there are a few bows that have larger then 7" brace heights and are in the 32-33" range for ATA.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

feel free to make fun of taco413 [:D]

I'll come over and b@%&h slap you boy[}:)] Yes I said BOY[:D]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413

carefull he might like it[:D][:D]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1

You are shut off from the kegerator. [:D] HA! take that!
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1

Maybe he will just be-atch slap ya and then drink all yer beer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Maybe he will just be-atch slap ya and then drink all yer beer.

Shoooot my 6yr old could take him. I could almost guarantee if she saw him slap me she would kick him in the shin. [:D]