In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crossbow advice

tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
I am considering picking up a crossbow for late season here in PA. I have a great deal of difficulty trimming the thickness of clothing down and being comfortable sitting, so it makes shooting the bow in Jan. very tough. We are permitted crossbows second archery and they are considering putting them in for all of archery season.
Any opinions on what the best make/model would be. The only limitations we have are a 200 pound max draw. Other than that it is wide open.
Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a Horton for two years and am very happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it a recurve or compound? Many I have spoken to had said to go with a recurve as there is less to wear out or break. What is the model horton you have?
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Barnett Quad 400, and a PSE Viper. Both are compound style crossbows. The Quad 400 is being sent for it's second repair in less than 50 shots.[:(!]

I would second the opinion of sticking to a re-curve style with less moving parts.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go horton hands down, won't regret it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at Horton or an excalibur right now I guess. Also wondered what everyone felt about the scopes. We are permitted scopes, but I have never shot one in a low light situation, when most buck are seen, to see if they are feasible. Would you all suggest a scope or an open type sight?
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Horton Legend XL 175. I have shot several deer with it and it is great. Im sure other bows are as good or better, but for the money it is tough to beat. I use the scope, 3 dot model, but for the distances I shoot one dot or crosshair would be plenty as it is a flatshooting machine for the distances you should be shooting at.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a HOT topic on HuntingPA. On the Striker check to be sure of the max draw weight. One of the models does 405 FPS so I believe it's over 200#.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, as PA talks more and more about going to statewide I am sure it will get a lot of discussion going. THey have been able to legally use them for a while in Allegheny county where I grew up and it really did nothing to increase the number of guys in the woods during archery. I will be anxious to see what it does if it goes through here in PA. I think the vote is coming up this or next month, right?

I did check out the stryker and though they look very nice, they are more than I wish to spend. I know that there is the 200 limit in PA, so I will have to stick to something at or under that. If I do throw a scope on it, I still can't see being really effective at much past 30-35 yards with the bolts as I am sure they loose energy pretty rapidly.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I did some reasearch on crossbows last season. although not the cheapest. like others have said Striker would be my choice.
  • Options
    ChulaChula Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top-of-the-line would be Excalibur. Simplicity at it's finest. Also, the most accurate crossbow in the world. The 200lb bow would be either the Vortex or Exocet 200. As well as the max. draw weight, there is a min to consider of 125lbs. I definately stay as far away from Barnett as I could
    way too many structural failures. People with old Barnette's (before the company was sold the fist time would probably tell you that they swear by them, but, their quality tanked). Parker also used to be a good mid-range bow, but, this past year they switched to a plastic bolt retainer and they have been snapping off in the cold. Horton has had the fewest problems for a mid-range bow, although, the problems they've had could cause harm (safety's that will not engage automatically as they are supposed to). The other hastle with Horton is the elevation knob on the side. If you cock with a cocking rope (and I strongly advise it)the rope will often rub the elevation knob without your realizing it and throw off you aim. The only wheel bow that rivals the Excalibur in accuracy and reliability in the Ten Point series. If you want a good bow at a moderate price I would suggest the TL7. hope this has helped.

quote:Originally posted by tclear
    I am considering picking up a crossbow for late season here in PA. I have a great deal of difficulty trimming the thickness of clothing down and being comfortable sitting, so it makes shooting the bow in Jan. very tough. We are permitted crossbows second archery and they are considering putting them in for all of archery season.
    Any opinions on what the best make/model would be. The only limitations we have are a 200 pound max draw. Other than that it is wide open.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THanks for the post. I am looking to keep the whole set up under the 700 dollar range, so there are plenty of options out there that fit that bill. Brother in law has an older excalibur and loves it. I have a buddy who has a horton and downed two with it between 20 and 30 yards. After shooting the two, I was having a tough time placing the extra 2-3 hundred dollars into the excalibur. Fleabay seems to have the best prices I can find on either of them. One shop has a new Horton Legacy with scope, quiver, three bolts, three practice tips, and cocking rope for 400 bucks. I am looking more at 450-500 just for the bow in the excalibur. Add the rest of the package and it is easily 2-300 more. Could you tell me what the upgrades from the Vortex to the Legacy may be and if they are worth it in your mind?
  • Options
    ChulaChula Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Legacy will be around $770.00 at the place I looked. Keep in mind that Legacy is a recurve crossbow with a 225# draw weight (illegal to hunt with in PA).

THanks for the post. I am looking to keep the whole set up under the 700 dollar range, so there are plenty of options out there that fit that bill. Brother in law has an older excalibur and loves it. I have a buddy who has a horton and downed two with it between 20 and 30 yards. After shooting the two, I was having a tough time placing the extra 2-3 hundred dollars into the excalibur. Fleabay seems to have the best prices I can find on either of them. One shop has a new Horton Legacy with scope, quiver, three bolts, three practice tips, and cocking rope for 400 bucks. I am looking more at 450-500 just for the bow in the excalibur. Add the rest of the package and it is easily 2-300 more. Could you tell me what the upgrades from the Vortex to the Legacy may be and if they are worth it in your mind?
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chula
    Top-of-the-line would be Excalibur. Simplicity at it's finest. Also, the most accurate crossbow in the world. The 200lb bow would be either the Vortex or Exocet 200. As well as the max. draw weight, there is a min to consider of 125lbs. I definately stay as far away from Barnett as I could
    way too many structural failures. People with old Barnette's (before the company was sold the fist time would probably tell you that they swear by them, but, their quality tanked). Parker also used to be a good mid-range bow, but, this past year they switched to a plastic bolt retainer and they have been snapping off in the cold. Horton has had the fewest problems for a mid-range bow, although, the problems they've had could cause harm (safety's that will not engage automatically as they are supposed to). The other hastle with Horton is the elevation knob on the side. If you cock with a cocking rope (and I strongly advise it)the rope will often rub the elevation knob without your realizing it and throw off you aim. The only wheel bow that rivals the Excalibur in accuracy and reliability in the Ten Point series. If you want a good bow at a moderate price I would suggest the TL7. hope this has helped.

Thanks,
    Tom

I'd put the Bowtech Stryker in there first, then the Ten Point, Excal. etc... Just my opinion tho. I say go shoot what you can, like with any bow, and see what feels good to you. For example my buddy likes a crossbow he can lean over and grab the string to cock it. For me that wouldn't be a factor in my decision. Put a few in your hands and see what ya think.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chula
    A Legacy will be around $770.00 at the place I looked. Keep in mind that Legacy is a recurve crossbow with a 225# draw weight (illegal to hunt with in PA).

The legacy does have a full ine that will come in 175, 200 and 225 pound draws. I have shot the 175 and did like it. They are available online much reduced from that 700+ price range (buy it now of 559, some less).
    The only thing I found that I did not like on this bow was the safety, but with the cost being substantailly less and my desire to only use this during late season archery, I think the legacy 200 is the way I am going to go.

Thanks to all for your help and opintions on the bows. Should they legalize them statewide maybe I will look at some point to upgrade to a stryker, but for the Horton is the way I am going to go.
    Thanks again,
    Tom
  • Options
    bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to sell a Horton Legend SL with wind up cocker, red dot sight,box of six bolts and case. Haven't listed it yet as I'm not sure of value. It is as new and once owned by my brother-in-law who has passed away. If there is an interest, I will post it here. trapper Did'nt mean to highjack the thread.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking at recurves, and would like to buy new, so would not be interested in the SL. Thanks though.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PA Game Commission did approve crossbows for all seasons. The "kicker" is, no magnified sights and they may change it back in 2012.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did hear that. A buddy of mine, who rarely gets into the woods any more due to health and age, has a crossbow that he takes out that has a scope. I am going to have to check into the new laws a bit more to see if that affects the disabled hunters who have already been using crossbows. I imagine we will have to change his over to a red dot or simple sight.