In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions wanted

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
Where I hunt, I have a stand in an old hedge grove. It is 10 yards deep from the tree I have my stand in to the edge of the field. I have 2 nice openings out to the field to shoot. To the north of me, about 30 yards, the deer like to cross the 75 year old fence there. There is no shot at all there. With bow or even gun. It is just to thick with either hedge branches hanging down or small sapplings and scrub brush growing up.
I know that I could clear out all of the ground cover but I think that would be too drastic and out of place.
What I was thinking was to block of the place where they jump across the fence and creating a new place for them to cross that is a little more hunter friendly. What do you yall think. BTW, between the openings out to the field and the fact that this tree is the most comfortable ladder stand you'll ever sit in I don't want to move the stand.

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Where I hunt, I have a stand in an old hedge grove. It is 10 yards deep from the tree I have my stand in to the edge of the field. I have 2 nice openings out to the field to shoot. To the north of me, about 30 yards, the deer like to cross the 75 year old fence there. There is no shot at all there. With bow or even gun. It is just to thick with either hedge branches hanging down or small sapplings and scrub brush growing up.
    I know that I could clear out all of the ground cover but I think that would be too drastic and out of place.
    What I was thinking was to block of the place where they jump across the fence and creating a new place for them to cross that is a little more hunter friendly. What do you yall think. BTW, between the openings out to the field and the fact that this tree is the most comfortable ladder stand you'll ever sit in I don't want to move the stand.
    I would block where the jump if it were me.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search deer funneling on google

You need to also block the path to where they cross. Funnel that path to the location you want them to cross.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    do it

Probably will this weekend. With my luck though, they will just crossover farther away.[:D]
  • Options
    new york hunter 34new york hunter 34 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You also have to think about the reason they are crossing there they must feel safe entering the field at that point.I would prob just move my stand to that loc if there is a tree on the down wind side .
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've made new openings in multiflora rose that the deer will follow every time. I also planted apple trees in different places to draw them in.