In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recurve bow sight

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
I did a search on past posts and found nothing (even looked on fleabay) and couldn't find anything on sites for a recurve (even tried spelling sights both ways). I know they are out there but I don't know where to find them (do you use the same sights as for a compound?). I'd preferably like to get one that can be mounted without drilling.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theres not much you can do if your bow doesn't have quiver bushings to mount a sight to. You could tape one to the riser.

They make a laser to mount in the stabilizer bushing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Started thinking about it... couldn't I use one of the modern compound sites and either heavy-duty two-sided tape it or epoxy it on? I have seen quite a few recurve bows on Fleabay with sights both antique and a few modern...possibly that's what was done?

And, could I possibly mount (drill and snuggly fit) bushings to afix it to on the upper riser? I'm an amatuer (but very good) gunsmith and a semi-pro grip maker so I have a pretty good McGyver in me.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recurves like longbows were made to shoot instictively that's why you only see holes on occassion for quivers. I go to a few shoots that is nothing but longbow/recurve and have never seen sights on any of them. Drilling other holes could hurt the structure of the bow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most of the old sights were screwed into the bow. While this doesn't hurt the structure of the bow, it is bad for collector value. If you epoxied it on, it would damage the finish to remove it. You can always tape it on. It should not be too hard to find sights. Maybe start on 3rivers archery website.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna try without for a while first
    and then maybe try fiddling with some double sided tape or heavy duty "locking" velcro to mount a tru-glo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Clint, get on this website:
    http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php

All the info you ever wanted to know on traditional archery! good luck.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a fellow that used to tape a bobby pin on his bow for a sight.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grizzclaw
    I know a fellow that used to tape a bobby pin on his bow for a sight.
    yea I remember a few chicks who lost bobby pins in the back seat of my car[;)] wanna buy one[:0][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    buckey were they fat chicks? [:D]
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fat chicks need lovin too, just more of it.
  • Options
    Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ClintF,
    You need to look for older sights then the ones used today for the compound bows. If you can find an old Reynolds/Browning site, it will work perfectly as you can tape it to the bow. It will only have a single sight pin on it, so you must learn how to set it up, say @ 25 yds, then learn how to hold for your shorter or longer shots. You will also want to mount the site on the outside of the bow, i.e. away from you; and you can use electricians tape to hold it on. I used this exact setup 43 years ago on an older Bear recurve
    to win three major tournaments in nine days without any problems with the site shifting or sliding. I was 17 @ the time; & the matches were; The Illinois State Indoor Championship (high Amateur),
    The Indiana State Indoor Championship (high Overall), & The International Indoor Archery Championship (High Amateur). I too ended up developing a seriously damaged left shoulder, rotator cuff, which kept me from the try-outs for the 1972 Summer Olympic Games by about 3 months. My Dr gave me two choices, either quit shooting or have surgery; and I had no family to help nor any insurance to pay for the cutting, so I retired after giving 8 years of my life to a wonderful dream. Sorry about the rambling, sometimes the memories just come rolling back & I have to let them out.