In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alright stubby

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
quote:Originally posted by stubnoid
quote:Originally posted by bang250
That yote has the jaws of a pitbull. [:D]

The dog we used on that run(Slim), found out first hand. That * got hold of his ear, and split it from top to bottom.

The very first forum I ever joined was a coyote hunting forum. Most of the people there used dogs. I never could understand it but I've never done it. Like skydiving, don't really get it but haven't tried it so I can't really have an opinion i guess. How does it work, like how do you keep up with the dogs? Radio collars? and how does that work? seriously, I have zero knowledge on this really. other than what I read on that forum years ago.

Comments

• Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We start about 30 min. before daylight scouting tracks. The snow conditions always dictate the hunt, in regards to dog performance. We put down one dog(unless training a pup), on the best track found by the group. Usually two of us will go in with the dog, and stay as close as possible. That becomes difficult/impossible once the yote is "jumped" and the dog picks up the pace, and you lose visual. At this point we rely on the dog howling to track direction/location.

Our group normally consists of 6 guys, and we try to cover one mile blocks. We position ourselves at known crossing points the yotes use, usually a fence line, stream bed, or narrow points between sections of timber. When the dog/yote cross into the next mile, we pile into the trucks and move, and so on. We have had one run last as long as 4 hours, and cover approx. 11 miles. A cardio work-out for all involved.

Yes the dog has a tracking collar on it.The breeds we use are Blue Tic, or Red Bone.

It's tough to put a hard number on the success rate of the runs, but I think 30% would be very close. Them yotes are smart, and when they get near an area populated with deer, they will screw up even the best of dogs.

I think most people picture coyote hunters as a group of fat guys sitting in pick-ups behind a rifle, waiting for their well trained dog to bring the yote to the truck for termination.[:D]

I tried to hit main points. If you have any questions, fire away.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a good time!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    That sounds like a good time!

Oh yeah! It's an adrenaline rush when you can hear that hound closing the gap, if you are fortunate enough to be positioned in the spot the yote chooses to cross. Bumps my heart rate up a notch or 20.[:D]

What part of Illinois are you in?
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I might have missed something here but I have been fishing/drinking tonight. If you all are talking hounds and coyotes my uncle that used to live in KS went with some fellas that used a cross between Bull Mastiffs and Greyhounds. He said they would hit a track and let one group loose. If they couldn't catch the yote then they would let the next group out. The dogs would catch the yote on the run and flip him up in the air and when he hit the ground they would catch up to him and flip him again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    I might have missed something here but I have been fishing/drinking tonight. If you all are talking hounds and coyotes my uncle that used to live in KS went with some fellas that used a cross between Bull Mastiffs and Greyhounds. He said they would hit a track and let one group loose. If they couldn't catch the yote then they would let the next group out. The dogs would catch the yote on the run and flip him up in the air and when he hit the ground they would catch up to him and flip him again.

So which was better Chief, the drinkin' or fishin'?[:D]

Re-read my post when your vision comes back to ya bro.[:D]

There is a group that moved in on the area we hunt that drops 10-15 dogs on a track. The dogs run the yote until it is winded, and once it is bayed, the dogs kill the coyote. Same deal with putting fresh dogs down as they tire. Problem is, they will also kill any domestic, or farm animal, they encounter along the way. I want no part of that style of hunting, nor the reputation they are building.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    What part of Illinois are you in?

You have email. [;)]