In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First bow

KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
Went to the shop and bought a 7.0 Mathews Reezen. Been shooting in a archery league 5 spot score has increased from a 264 to 279 in three weeks. I forsee a untimely hogs death in the not so far future.

Never understood why someone would minimize their range hunting with a bow. I must admit now that I've tried it, this stuff is addicting!

Comments

• Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Hi i am 6'4" tall wear a 35-37 sleeve shrit...I look in cabelas just to look and never see anything over a 30 inch draw...What do i need to look for do i have to go buy from some dealer can i buy one off internet ???Thanks Wayne
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Went to the shop and bought a 7.0 Mathews Reezen. Been shooting in a archery league 5 spot score has increased from a 264 to 279 in three weeks. I forsee a untimely hogs death in the not so far future.

Never understood why someone would minimize their range hunting with a bow. I must admit now that I've tried it, this stuff is addicting!
    congrads welcome to the addiction..
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    We like to think of it as "gettin close" rather than "Minimizing our range". [:D][;)]

As buckey said, welcome to the addiction.
  • Options
    Deadred707Deadred707 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 700lb. bull elk snort at me at 40y (no shot) :( This sport will get you heart to skip a beat. I love it!
  • Options
    Easton Archer 66Easton Archer 66 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the addiction, having been hooked since going to my first archery match in the summer of 1959 @ the age of 11. Recurves and fingers, mostly fiberglass or wood shafts, only the hot shots had aluminum arrows yet. Took me 4 years to start competing after pressuring my step-father to help me get an archery club started in the town of Martinsville, IN. We called it Indian Creek Archery Club; shot both indoors and out as a charter club of the NFAA. That's Nat'l Field Archery *'n. Back then we didn't have 5 spot, just one full size target scoring 5-4-3-2-1. I competed in my first INdoor Championship in 1965 as an Intermediate boy, managed to shoot a 264 to win my class. After that, I decided I was going to compete in the Olympics even though It wasn't a declared sport yet; I knew one day it would be, and I would be ready. in 1966, as a senior in HS, I shot in my first match as an adult, joined the Nat'l Archery *'n, the amateur regulating *'n for the world matches, and competed at the Louisville Open, winning my first Amateur Men's title. The last weekend of march, 1966, four friends, all professionals and I, traveled to Champaign, Ill to shoot in the '66 State INdoor Championship Tournament. The match consisted of 96 arrows fired 6 at a time over a period of 16 ends with a possible score of 864 points. My mentor, at that time the first individual to ever shoot a perfect 300 in competition; shot an 858/864, tying the world record. Oh, the scoring went 9-7-5-3-1 with each end being worth 64 points. He lost 4 points due to deflecting a shot off another nock with the shot ending in the 7 ring. Of course he won the professional division,; I managed an 848/864 to win the Amateur men's class while our three companions placed 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the pro class. In was not well received that year. That same evening, we drove down state to Evansville, In for the IN State Indoor Championship the next morning. Even though I was but 17, when the celebration started that evening over our success, I was forced to imbibe in several 'Just Right Sprite' drinks. A bottle of Sprite was poured half out then filled with Jim Beam, to create the JRS! The next morning I had to be on the line at 8:00 AM to start the match, and was lucky to see the target through blurry eyes. Fortunately, at that age, if I had a gal in the stands watching me, I shot like an machine, with the attitude of miss one shoot the next 20 in the bull. I ended up firing a 296/300, setting a new state record while winning the Amateur men's award; while the top pro, my mentor, shot a 292 to win the professional division and the State Champion Award. The following week-end we all 5 traveled to Detroit, Mi for the International Indoor Archery Championship. It was a two day match. It was a 600 point match with 1103 competitors on the line. My mentor, Lester 'Jugger' Gervais, the top professional in the US at the time; shot a 592/600 to win the Men's Pro. Class; and with luck, I managed a 587/600 to set an amateur record. So, in 9 days, Jugger and I won 6 major tournaments, set 4 major scoring records and tying a world record; for my part, it was quite a 9 day period for a 17 year kid from IN.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kodiakk
    Enjoy the bow. You sure got a great one for the first.
    The guys below are correct... it is an addiction. A very expensive one at that.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:A very expensive one at that.

Roger that! [xx(]